Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt? >

What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt?

What is the easiest way to quilt a "10 minute block" quilt?

Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by ssnare
You might stitch the middle square of each block down like the cathedral window and make bigger diamond shapes around that, so the window stands out.
I may try this. My machine doesn't allow the feed dogs to drop so for the moment I have to do simple quilting, at least until my hubby can afford a part he said he can get for my machine.

Forgive this next question but has anyone ever made a blanket using the 10 minute blocks and just tied embroidery floss in the corners? I'm not sure how that would look :shock: but could that be a possibility instead of quilting it? Lol.

If not, then I like the idea of stitching the middle square. :-D
Old 10-02-2011, 03:12 AM

I consider myself a newbie, but I tye most of my quilts, using the Decatur Knot..you can search for it under quilting knots, I have the pages and can PM them to you if you want to see how it looks...my page says tying by Caroline Reardon....I love this knot...you can hide it if done with thread or show it if done with yarn...does real good in corners...
Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by craftymama86
Butterjoy, here's a video on how to make the squares. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
Thanks for the link, however it will not play properly.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:04 AM
Ed

My next project will be a "10 minute block" quilt and I need to know an easy, simple, etc. way of quilting one. I've just started out on quilting so no free motion just yet, lol. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I have made two of these quilts so far. I’m new at quilting, so the first one I just sewed from corner to corner. The other Isewed by stitch in the ditch to the center. Then used a blanket stitch around the center square.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 AM

I have done about 10 of these for charity quilts and edge stitch the middle block down and free motion around it. You could edge stitch the middle block and stitch in the ditch or sew diagonal lines through the all the blocks quilt edge to quilt edge. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by ssnare
You might stitch the middle square of each block down like the cathedral window and make bigger diamond shapes around that, so the window stands out.
I may try this. My machine doesn't allow the feed dogs to drop so for the moment I have to do simple quilting, at least until my hubby can afford a part he said he can get for my machine.

Forgive this next question but has anyone ever made a blanket using the 10 minute blocks and just tied embroidery floss in the corners? I'm not sure how that would look :shock: but could that be a possibility instead of quilting it? Lol.

If not, then I like the idea of stitching the middle square. :-D
I have done 5 { 10 min . block { tops 2 of them I tied with embroidery floss and 2 were quilted by hand the other is waiting at a freearm quilter.
One of the tied ones was donated for a raffel waiting to see how it does.
Hope this answers your question.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 AM

I have quilted 2--both on the diagonal, but in different spots. One was from the center seam in each block to the next center seam, etc. The other i just missed the center little block. Both worked well.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Butterjoy, here's a video on how to make the squares. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbTHlGGKMPM
Thanks for the link, however it will not play properly.
Can you try another browser? I use Google Chrome, though I do on a rare occasion use Internet Explore.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM

I made one as a charity quilt...as you can see from the quilting, I'm not too great (LOL) at FMQing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-265235.jpe
Views:	109
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	265288  
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

What I did was, quilt in the ditch and around the block in the middle, then I quilted a square on point between the center block and the edge of the block. Easy & quick. Only straight lines.