Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 07:13 AM

My DH got burned bad trying to buy a motorcycle on Ebay. Cost him thousands!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 AM

I send my sewing machines from MD to WA state and pack them really well - so, again, I would ask questions about the shipping, etc.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Banned

I have SOLD lots of machines on ebay! THere are some KEY questions.
1- does the machine RUN...
2- is the bobbin race/case in tack
3- will they ship via UPS
4- will they insure for FULL value

most on ebay don't sew, so no nothing about the machine, if you can ask a few simple questions, you can usually tell from the answers and/or the pictures they have if the machine is really something worth getting!

there are machine dealers on ebay. so try to catch a machine from one of them to be on the safest side!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:40 AM

I have bought 3 machines on e-bay.

A 301 which needed oil and lube and new footies and new rubber bobbin winder, then worked great.

A 301A sold cheap for parts because even tho the motor worked the seller could not get it to sew. It turned out that the bobbin was in backwards and the bobbin finger was not in the right place. Fixed that, oil and lube and works like a charm.

A 221 FW which I still have not had a chance to oil and lube, but came VERY WELL PACKED.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:41 AM

Yes, I have burned twice. One, I had to pay $75.00 for a new gear and cleaning. The other, a 930 Bernnina, was hopeless. Buyer beware! Be prepared to spend about $100. for any issues....
Michelle
Old 10-02-2011, 07:42 AM

I have purchased two refurb machines from ebay.. both were great buys,, arrived in great condition and work beautifully. If you pay with paypal you are insured. Happy Shopping
Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 AM

I purchased my 301a off of ebay from a seller who specializes in refurbishing and selling vintage sewing machines. (McCarthy Vintage Sewing Machines)

She had a lot of sales and excellent feedback. I paid what I consider a fair price, but not a "deal". ($149.00 = S&H $25)

However, she packed it perfectly and when I got my baby out and set her up she has been wonderful absolutely no problems. She had already been serviced and was ready to sew.

When I am ready to buy again it most likely be through Kate.

Deb
Old 10-02-2011, 07:54 AM

I bought my Janome on Ebay several months ago and had no problems whatsoever. This is the seller I bought from. http://stores.ebay.com/shopisu I also bought my sewing cabinet from a seller on Ebay too.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:03 AM

Hi
have bought 3 machines of ebay. The first 2 were featherweights and are fine. Llast winter I bought a Bernina 440QE. The seller was genuine and I just had a hunch it was all ok. I paid via paypal so that offered some protection, but I needn't have worried. we went and collected it (made sure it was feasible distance for us to drive to), and I am so pleased with it. The lady I bought it from showed me how it worked and all the attachments. She even sent on some bobbins she found about 4 months later when she had a clear out.

My experiences have been really positive, but I was very careful I don't think everyone would be so lucky. Also remember you have no warrently buying in this way. I took the risk and saved £500.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 AM

I got the vintage bug a few years ago and bought a bunch of oldies. One of my first was a red eye which he described as 99% perfect on the gold decals. What a joke - paid a bunch for it, many people bidding. I wrote him and told him the machines decals were certainly not anyones idea of 99%. He did return my money, I returned the machine and he put it up again, described as I told him it should - he got less for it, but it was a better description of what he had to sell.
All in all I've bought and sold many, many machines. I know how to pack and everyone has been very happy with my machines. On my end I've had a few dozzies, but most where fine. My rating is 100%, I'm proud to say, with over 200 items. I am not leery of buying on ebay. Just read the description and ratings and ask questions. I'm looking at a machine now, wrote her because she wrote nothing personal - just machine literature. She was not forthcoming, so her machine is off my list. Shop smart.
In cases of buying vintage it is difficult to find what you want in a small area - ebay is the answer.
Judi