Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-01-2011, 04:20 AM

I'm looking at machines on Ebay and am nervous about buying. Has anyone had a really good/bad experience buying on Ebay? Has anyone had a machine destroyed in shipping, and how was that handled?

Thanks,
Linda
Old 10-01-2011, 04:22 AM

I'm afraid of the shipping issue, so I don't even look at E-bay.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 AM

Look at the dealers reputation and pay through pay pal, they ensure that you get your money back if there is a problem.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 AM

Miss MAM arrived with a broken handwheel. Seller didn't pack well. A few emails and pictures later he replaced it.

Just be very carefull!!! When a seller says a machine works that doesn't mean it sews!!! Only that the wheel turns and the needle goes up and down. My 2nd machine needs some parts before she will work. But she's pretty and the price was OK.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 AM

I've only bought one machine on ebay and it was a great purchase. OTOH, lots of people selling machines on ebay know nothing about sewing machines, so can't or won't tell you if it's missing parts, etc. It's just like any other ebay purchase - you have to know what to look for, check the seller's reputation, and don't pay more than you would for an item that needs some attention if you can't verify the other stuff.

Buyer feedback is best, and you can check to see what they've been selling. If they don't normally deal in sewing machines, take that into account. If they have included lots of pictures, you can check for missing parts, frayed electrical cords, dings and scratches, gunk in the works, etc.

You can also ask the seller questions, but you have to be careful. Questions and answers are posted on the listing. If you see a real bargain and ask a question that gets a favorable answer, you may encourage other bidders to jump in and run up the bid.

Darren
Old 10-01-2011, 05:10 AM

I have bought two machines from Ebay. My first was my 301A. It came with the case also. The seller did a good job of packing it. Both the machine and case arrived just like pictured. The machine sewed okay, but I still took it to be serviced since it hadn't been used in years.

The other machine I bought was a pink Atlas. It was packaged very well also. It also came with a case but the case had previous minor damage that the seller told about in the listing. It sewed nice also but I later sold it.

If I found a machine I liked on Ebay, I would take a chance and buy it.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 AM

I have bought many machines on Ebay and Craigs list. I have not been burned yet, knock on wood!!!
Old 10-01-2011, 05:30 AM

I have bought two embroidery machines off of Ebay with no problems.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:32 AM

I have bought several and had good experiences. It does help to request they pack it well. But the machines were as described, so I had no problems there.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:02 AM

I have purchased 5 machines since April. The 1st was a Singer Sphinx. In case but not packed well. took it to repairman had fixed. runs good. bought a singer FW. packed good no problems. ordered a juko babylock. not packed good --broken thread tree and bent spool holders-he said he thought since it was so heavy he didn't need to pack any better. 4th one a singer spartan-asked them to pack well--not --broken cover on belt and case bottom (that machine sets in) broken and a lot of little pieces in the box--don't know what for. 5h machine has not arrived yet. got a 301 in little case--big sister to FW. Looks good in the pics will see what it looks like when I get it. Have ordered needles in quantity, bobbins also thread everything as described. I have a gold star rating of 10. Leave feedback on all items. In process of Spartan seller to refund my money and shipping. He thinks I am going to sign his ins papers, but I will be going thru EBAY, because I don't know how much he insured her for, and try to beat me out of my money. the other guy is still looking for a thread tree to fit the Juko babylock. She is such a cute little machine. Spent $210 for FW w/shipping, $80 for Sphinx w/shipping, $62 for babylock w/shipping, $61 for spartan w/shipping, $88 for 301 w/shipping. So no reall high prices except FW and that was an offer on it that was accepted. All machines sew like a charm, just some damage.