Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old School >

Old School

Old School

Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM

I have used a hoop in the past, but found it difficult and back breaking. Wish I could comfortably use a thimble but never have adapted to it. I just baste like crazy and start in the middle and work out, checking often so that nothing is bunching up in the back. So I keep sewing until my fingertips cry for mercy. Amazing the callouses one can build up after a queen size quilt :mrgreen: I also use a tiny footstool thingy that Keepsake Quilting catalogs offer. Prevents a lot of stiffness in the lower spine.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:26 AM

I'm a hand quilter who only does machine quilting when I *have* to, ie, the quilt has to get done quickly, or it is a child's quilt or a utility quilt.

Hand quilting is my "therapy" that keeps my mind sane! :)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:49 AM

I love hand quilting. I save it for TV time when I can't sit still but want to be with hubby. I've done one full size bed quilt (large twin), a few small wall quilts, and am working on a large lap quilt at the moment done in civil war colours. I decided to hand quilt it to make it look more antiquey. I find it very therapeutic and relaxing. Just don't do it if you have a deadline for the quilt (ie for a quilt show).

www.daysquilter.blogspot.com
Old 10-02-2011, 08:05 AM

Yes, I hand-quilt and hand-piece because that was the way I learned over 50 years ago, and it's a peaceful thing to do. I know not many younger people appreciate the time and effort that goes into one of these, but I get personal satisfaction out of it, regardless if I know that it may end up in someone's yard sale next year. The hands are not what they used to be, but as long as I can continue to quilt, I will!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 AM

For me it's a form of therapy...a much needed stress and tension release when I was working..now that I'm retired it's just for my own pleasure.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Hand quilting is all that I do. My stiches are not perfect, but I have a special person in mind for every quilt I make. So just to know that my hands have made all the stiches makes it even more special(in my opinion).
Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 AM

I am a hand quilter. Right now I am working on a quilt top that my Grandmother hand pieced. She gave the top to my youngest son as a wedding present. I also have one started that she hand pieced that will go to my oldest son and his wife.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Don't think I truly enjoyed quilting until I knew that my very best was good enough and for the most part, who knows but you where the "boo-boos" are. If someone's judging what doesn't quite match, or if my hand stitches are too big, obviously I've picked the wrong recipient of my gift :lol:
Old 10-02-2011, 11:16 AM

I'm a hand quilter! It's my first love. I usually call my hand quilts my "waiting quilts," 'cause I take 'em with me every where I have to wait. Like at the Dr.s office, when I take my DMIL to the beauty shop, or any where else that I have to wait. I have way too many quilts to hand quilt 'em all. I usually SID but am learning to FMQ.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM

It's my favorite part of the process, especially in the winter. I always think about Grandma when I'm hand-quilting. I was one of those tots who sat underneath the quilting frame watching the needle come through the backing and go back up again. I'd say hand-quilting is in my blood.