Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 01:56 PM

I have purchased many machines on Ebay. As others have stated, just make sure the seller is reputable and look for words like "sews" instead of "runs" and such. Also pay attention to the seller's ratings. I only got stung once when a woman who reportedly worked for the USPS didn't properly pack the machine. I ended up sending in a claim to the USPS because it was beyond fixing - this was before PayPal started their program. Use PayPal and you have a recourse.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:35 PM

I recently got a FW on E-Bay and it came very well packed. I found (IMO) after watching for one for quite some time that the people that don't know much about FW..you can get a better deal. They don't know their value. Some of the sellers are way too high and the machines are terrible looking. I spent $250 with shipping and I've seen other that start at $300 and go up and mine even looked better. I probably would be more worried with an electronic/computer machine. Too many things can or could be wrong with it...FW are so simple, just mechanical. Sorry, if I rattled on too much.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM

I bought a NEW Janome 1600P DPX from the Sew'n Vac Ebay store. I was satisfied with the price, free shipping, etc. then I discovered their policy of meeting the lowest price you can find on Ebay. I found the same machine for $150.00 less and they gladly knocked $150. off their price.
Since then I've bought a InkJet Printer and several quilting "toys" from them. Highly recommend them.
Don't think I'd buy a sewing machine from an individual Ebay seller, I'd be afraid of the hassle if the machine wasn't as described or was damaged in some way)
I'd avoid anything less than 100% feedback on any seller
Old 10-02-2011, 02:50 PM

wE HAVE BOUGHT TWO MACHINES FROMS kENS SEWING ON EBAY AND EVEN HAVE BOUGHT SUPPKLIES AS JUST CALL THE STORE AND THEY SHIP. tHEY ARE VIN ALABAMA
Old 10-02-2011, 03:05 PM

I bought my embroidery machine on ebay and love it. Be sure to check feedback on seller and USE paypal to pay. If you have a problem ,first go to seller if they won't do anything Paypal will. be sure to ask alot of questions
Old 10-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Rosie has good advice. Go with a seller who has made a lot of transactions and you have a better chance of getting your machine well packaged. Also beware if they have a very low shipping amount. It just isn't inexpensive to have a sewing machine shipped.
I bought a Featherweight on Ebay and it is a great machine that I got for a good price. Just choose your seller carefully and you have a better chance for success.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Hi, yes I bought two, one many years ago a Janome 8000, worked great for a week, then made a terrible noise. Got only half my money back. But a month ago I got brave and bought a nice brothers, for $41.00. Looks new and works super well. Anna
Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM

I've purchased 4 machines on Ebay.
First was a singer, many years ago. I think even before feedback was a way of keeping sellers honest. Seller didn't package well and it came destroyed. I then purchased another Singer. It actually came from the UK...was packaged very well and suffered no damage.
My third was an Elna. Loved the machine, but wasn't in the "Excellent" condition the seller claimed. Besides not being in the excellent condition claimed, the batteries had been left in it and leaked battery acid all on the insides. Seller gave me a little bit of a hard time, but eventually refunded my money, but didn't refund the shipping, which is the usual practice, but was quite a bit being a heavy item. I'm sure the seller didn't know much about the machine and had no idea there were batteries hiding underneath it. The 4th is my current Bernina. Seller didn't know much about the machine, and the motherboard needed to be replaced. They would have taken it back, but my Bernina dealer kindly replaced the $1000 part, saying it was still under warrenty. I don't think a dealer would do that now.

I would say to look at the feedback. I usually look at the items they have sold in the past...are they as valuable and were they packaged well? Ask questions. What do they know about the machine? If you are buying from the owner you have a better chance of knowing what you are getting.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks Purplefiend Ill try that and see how it works and let you know if that was the problem
Old 10-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Yes, bought one from an individual who said it belonged to their mother and was just serviced. After I bought it and got it out of the box, it quit sewing after a couple of stitches. Took it to the Singer service shop and was told that the gear that turned the needle was broken and apparently was broken for some time because there was no pieces under the machine in the case. I tried to contact the seller but to no avail. Live and learn. Did report them to ebay, but I see they are still selling items.