Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 04:19 PM

Hi,

I, also, have had very good and very bad experiences...packing was the problem...which, there was none wth a small Singer with the wooden dome cover - broken beyond repair -- I did not dispute...just chalked it up to a low winning bid..But I had a Singer 1929 RedEye shipped from PA to AZ and it was perfect - looked to be professionaly packed. I do wish you well with your purchases.

Judy in Phoenix
Old 10-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Hi. I bought a Pfaff from a woman in WA state and it looked like it had been used as a boat anchor. It was completely rusted tight. Lucky for me I had paid with a CC and the company stood behind me. I made a fraud claim on her. Then I bought a Bernina and it was a great machine. You really have to question the selleer. I wouldn't be afraid of the shipping. Be sure to buy insurance.
Judy Fry
Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MissM
Look at the dealers reputation and pay through pay pal, they ensure that you get your money back if there is a problem.
Agree! I purchased a beautiful singer pro 2010 from a seller on ebay. The seller was actually a LQS in Montana, so they knew everything about the machine, I read through all reviews to be sure that they had a good reputation, and using paypal protected my money, just be sure if you purchase that seller either automatically includes insurance, or request it, it is always worth the little extra bit now a days with how things can get lost or broken in the mail lately.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:02 PM

I purchased a Bernina from a guy in California. It wa not packed properly and when arrived it took me at leat 1/2 hr. to get all the little foam pieces out of the machine. After setting it all up, it did not work! Also, one foot was broken and several which were photoed in the ad were not in the package. I immediately emailed him and he gave me quite a hard time about having his wife witnessed all that was sent and he couldn't understand why pieces were broken. Thru E-bay I got my purchase price ($795) refunded but didn't want to continue arguing for the postage which was near $50.00 each way.
I have to add that he was a first-time-seller, which I will never buy from again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-265453.jpe
Views:	88
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	265506   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-265454.jpe
Views:	117
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	265507  
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 PM

I bought my featherweight off ebay and it is great, and I got a little Brother for my granddaughter and it is like new, 59 dollars and free shipping, Arrived here in great
shop.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Banned

I have had quite a few customers have their machines destroyed in the shipping end of it because the sellers idea of "Professional Packaging" is for the UPS store to toss it in a box full of peanuts. :roll:

But if you tell them how you want it packed and let them know your willing to pay extra for the service.

Billy
Old 10-02-2011, 05:46 PM

I bought a Bernina Activa off of ebay from a top seller with excellent feedback packed in original box .It was in like new conditon for my daughter .Used paypal,just be very careful,several years ago at Christmas we bought a chess set off ebay and account numbers were stolen ,our bank immediately issued us new cards.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM

I have bought two machines on ebay and both of them were real good buys and both of them were really packed well.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:51 PM

I bought 2 machines from overstock.com. Just basic Brothers for a good price. They are reconditioned but look new. They have many machines of all types on their website.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM

I purchased a Viking Designer Topaz 20 on Ebay from a quilter. Machine is great! I mentioned to my LOS that I purchased it as they are a Viking dealer and repair center. They said because I purchased it on Ebay they wouldn't touch it, that is Vikings policy. Plus the 20 yr warranty is only to the first owner. I guess some sewing centers try to under cut the little guys. I don't get it because I bought it used from a private party. Hope it dosen't need work.