Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 06:39 PM

I bought my machine from ebay, but was a little curious as to why I couldn't register a brand new machine. Well 6 years later I took it in for service only to find that the serial plate on the bottom of the machine had been scraped off - this was probably a stolen machine. I felt awful!!! Plus, I will never be able to trade it in. This seller had great feedback...

My advice - buy from a reputable dealer!!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:42 PM

Also, many dealers will match the on-line price - check out your local dealers first
Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM

I bought my Brother machine on Ebay from a distributor on SC and had a wonderful experience. My machine arrived on schedule with no shipping damage or any problems with the machines performance. I knew the model I wanted and the distributor even included all the different feet free of charge. My machine also has all the standard warranties and guarantees. If you buy from sellers with good reputations from Ebay you should be all right with your purchases.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

My first Ebay experience was horrible. I bought a FW, and it came well packed, but had a terrible smell. She had said the machine had "no odor". I tried airing it out, etc. and finally sent it back. She had heavily sprayed the case with Febreze. (I can't handle smells very well)
She also tried to get me to go out of Paypal to handle this situation. I said no, then she threatened me. I called a Paypal rep and told her what they said. She didn't give up. But I did get my $ back, minus shipping. I did not leave feedback, as didn't want her to return the favor.
My second purchase of a FW I bought from Ebay: DeskDave's FW Factory, and love the machine! Excellent folks to deal with!
Do ask lots of questions, insist that no packing peanuts be used, and pay with Paypal.
:)
Old 10-02-2011, 07:44 PM

We are kingofkeetlekorn on ebay and you can trust we will deliver what we promise ready to go. Sadly this not the case with all. We have ourselves had good and bad experiences with sellers and buyers. Recently we recieved a machine that was badly damaged which the seller says was packed by UPS. We personally use Fedex for that reason- in all the machines we have shipped with them only one was damaged. Ask the seller who they ship with, how they plan to pack it, and to demonstate the machine prior to even bidding. When you recieve a package video tape it if possible while opening or at least take pictures to verify your claims. From the sellers point of view. When someone claimed damage to a machine we contacted a repair shop with great reviews in their area. The owner of the shop asked for the machine serial number and explained there have been across the states buyers claiming damage to a machine bought on ebay now needing repairs to be blindly paid by the seller but the machine they bring in for repair is not that machine. From the buyers point of view we have also had several sellers ship a differnt machine then the one in their photos- get serial numbers etc from them before buying. Do use paypal yes they can be a bit of a hassle but t's better then stuck with no recourse when somethong goes wrong.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 AM

In 2003, I bought 2 "new" Kenmore machines from a company in WA. The were discontinued and got really great deals on them. They came in the original boxes with everything included. they safely arrived in the mail and the girls have had no problems with them and they work great. In 2009, I purchased 2 sergers, that were used, and they were packed great with foam cut to fit the boxes, they run great, they also arrived safe and have had no problems with them.
I do alot of investigating with the person, with whom I received stuff before I commit to buy. I've had no problems and have been very pleased.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 AM

I bought one on EBay a few years ago. It can in and there was no bobbin case so I didn't look further since we were going to Norfold, Va. and I knew where to get one. Purchased one and when we got home tried to lace it in the machine. All the internal bobbin holder was gone. Call the seller and he said they were the way he got them and they were as is sales. Haven't tried anything since.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
I'm looking at machines on Ebay and am nervous about buying. Has anyone had a really good/bad experience buying on Ebay? Has anyone had a machine destroyed in shipping, and how was that handled?

Thanks,
Linda
I would like to share with you my experience on Ebay when I bought a viking #1plus embroidery last nov. I got if for 600; it's hard to believe they are still selling for a high price but I've yet to ever get to sew on it. the first thing that I noticed were some items missing and as soon as I told the seller; he sent them to me the same day. then it wouldn't sew without breaking; so i noticed that the pressure plate was badly nicked; I told the seller and he sent me two plates; one regular and one for single hole (he didn't even want pictures to prove). Still didn't fix the problem. After that I got sick and the machine took the back burner since I had another one to work on. I wasn't sure how to get ahold of the seller a few months ago so I took it to the viking rep here and after a few months he said he couldn't get the parts. Since my machine was under warranty for 2 yrs and I was finally able get his contact info I just spoke to him this morning. He told me to fax him the purchase proof to show it was still under warranty and that I would need to have it professionally packaged so that UPS would insure it from damage and he'd send me a thing to have them pick up the machine and he'd fix it. I was so nervous when I bought it but after the first couple of times of him sending me the things that I needed then I no longer had any worries. Incase any of you have the chance I'll include his information for ebay on here. He has a company called Ameriecan Sewing and so far I've only saw quality service from him. The fact that he offered a 2yr warranty on an older machine was the first thing that impressed me and he continually impresses me. Now; when I get it back I'll put it up for sale since I just bought the Ruby this weekend but at least I wouldn't have lost my money and it feels good to see there are still those out there while wanting to make money stand up to thier words first. I hope this helps; just check them out before buying. The good thing about a LQS buy is that it comes with classes that are free but I know around here you can still get them for $25 an hour if you didn't buy from a shop.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:48 PM

I bought a 6370 Viking now trying to get the power cord & foot pedal. sewing shop says a good machine & worth what I p[aid for it but if cant find the power source not so good. I got one machine where the case was all broken up, let the dealer know & he refunded my money & the shipping to return as well. I'm now waiting for a featherweight I ordered it needs some aint & decal work done but looks ok otherwise. waiting for my bL to come down & spent the winter so he can have something to keep him busy. HaHa
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 PM

I bought a 6370 Viking now trying to get the power cord & foot pedal. sewing shop says a good machine & worth what I p[aid for it but if cant find the power source not so good. I got one machine where the case was all broken up, let the dealer know & he refunded my money & the shipping to return as well. I'm now waiting for a featherweight I ordered it needs some aint & decal work done but looks ok otherwise. waiting for my bL to come down & spent the winter so he can have something to keep him busy. HaHa