Winter predictions

Old 10-04-2011, 12:29 PM

My grandson who lives in Missouri cut open a persimmon seed and found a spoon which is supposed to mean shoveling snow.
I hope that is an indication for West Texas. We need any kind of moisture.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I heard we were supposed to have below normal tempuratures and above normal snowfall, the second year of La Nina.. I hope they are wrong.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM

I've seen a few on the roads. This weekend is the Woolly Bear Festival in Vermilion Ohio
Old 10-04-2011, 06:22 PM

The fruit trees and such have been prolific this year. My Dad thinks this may be an indicator of a long hard winter. I know that I've had to buy more canning jars this year to keep up with the extra.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM

Snow predicted to fall at Mt. Hood tomorrow (?)...early
again. Good for the ski season again if they can accumulate a good base by Thanksgiving, and it's been way below the "normal" temperature for this time of the year. Right now, at 8:55 PM PST, temp is 55 and since it's been raining...it's that damp cold! :cry:
Old 10-05-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow
The is from the Farmer's Almanac:

For the winter of 2011–12, the Farmers’ Almanac is forecasting “clime and punishment,” a season of unusually cold and stormy weather. For some parts of the country, that means a frigid climate; while for others, it will mean lots of rain and snow.

The upcoming winter looks to be cold to very cold for the Northern Plains, parts of the Northern Rockies, and the western Great Lakes. In contrast, above-normal temperatures are expected across most of the southern and eastern U.S. Near-normal temperatures are expected in the Midwest and Far West, and in southern
Florida.

A very active storm track will bring much heavier-than-normal precipitation from the Southern Plains through Tennessee into Ohio, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast. Because of above normal temperatures, much of the precipitation will likely be rain or mixed precipitation, although, during February, some potent East Coast storms could leave heavy snow, albeit of a wet and slushy consistency.

An active Pacific Storm track will guide storm systems into the Pacific Northwest, giving it a wetter-than-normal winter.

Drier-than-normal weather will occur in the Southwest and Southeast corners of the nation.
Well, I can only hope and pray the Almanac is wrong about the "drier than normal" in the South...especially here in Texas. My water bill is sky high from trying to keep my foundation moist so the house won't settle and crack (my neighbor has a bill of over $12,000 to fix his house!!!) and many of my once beautiful crepe myrtles are really, really struggling. I gave up on the veggie garden...And the wildfires here are scary to behold. So I pray the Almanac is wrong. Keep praying for rain here in Tx y'all!!! :wink: :wink:
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Note to self: Go to grocery store and buy staples that don't require refrigeration or freezer.
Good call!!! The only 'wooly worms' I have seen are all a yellowish color not the normal brown/black!
Old 10-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Here in Arkansas we had a cold and snowy winter last year with storms inbetween. UGH! Hope this winter is better.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM

For Wooly worms to predict winter (I`m told) is to see thousands of them. I`ve seen only yellow by the house, Half brown ans half black in the yard, and all black in the garden.
I do remember seeing thousands of a black on the road one year and it was a very bad winter. Early winter hair on the animals is a sign of cold winter, mine don`t have any yet. One of my rabbits has a line of long hair just along his back like a mohawk hair cut.All I know for sure is it was 80 degrees here in mid Wisconsin today and that`s a miracle! God willing we will all make it through another winter.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 PM

Sounds like a repeat of last year. Super cold fronts and dry, dry, dry.