Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you finish a  tied quilt ? >

How do you finish a tied quilt ?

How do you finish a tied quilt ?

Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM

I use embroidery floss also and leave about 1" tail and space them about every 4" and place where the seams comes together.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I used Perle Cotton to tie my last quilt. Then - buried the ends... Nice and neat. If you want to leave the ties as part of the effect - about an inch to inch and a half is long enough.
I like not having too much stitching on some of the quilts, but the jury is still out on whether I like the tied look (tails) or not. This sounds like a good idea, but also sounds very time comsuming. I'm guessing you have to rethread all the ends to pull them down to bury them or is there another trick to it. I'm finding there are a lot of tricks for things that I would not have thought of. Thanks for the idea.
Also, have to find the Pearle cotton, that sounds like the another favorite for tying. Is that in the embroidery section or thread section?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
I used Perle Cotton to tie my last quilt. Then - buried the ends... Nice and neat. If you want to leave the ties as part of the effect - about an inch to inch and a half is long enough.
I like not having too much stitching on some of the quilts, but the jury is still out on whether I like the tied look (tails) or not. This sounds like a good idea, but also sounds very time comsuming. I'm guessing you have to rethread all the ends to pull them down to bury them or is there another trick to it. I'm finding there are a lot of tricks for things that I would not have thought of. Thanks for the idea.
Also, have to find the Pearle cotton, that sounds like the another favorite for tying. Is that in the embroidery section or thread section?
It's with the yarn at Joann's.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
You tie the tails together to make a knot but do not bury the knot as you do with quilting (actually almost impossible to bury) so there is no re-threading the needle except for when you use up your "thread" and need more to continue. Its faster than quilting.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Tails are good around 1" and it was a good ides to use floss, because a VA H may be washing it often and may have people that wash things with out knowing how. They like to use hot water on every thing --germs you know-- and yarn would not stand up to that.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Personally, I like my ties about every 2", I use the full strand of floss and I cut the ties to be about 1" long. I bind just like on a quilt that is quilted.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

I put a drop of "Fray-Chek" at the knot to help hold it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM

I use 1 inch as well. Yours should be fine.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM

I kind of like tying a bit closer together. It depends on the pattern I suppose. Most things I tye are smaller patches, so knots are a bit closer. I leave about 3/4 in. tails.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM

My tied quilts are about 4 inches apart and the tails are about 1/2 inch or so. I use three strands of embroidery thread.
The binding is sewn just like any other quilt.....