Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
stupid thoughts for late at night... >

stupid thoughts for late at night...

stupid thoughts for late at night...

Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM

I knew a lady named Shella, born under Shell station sign.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM

My mother & her siblings had normal names but only one was ever called by her name, Cleo. There was Doris, called Bobbie; Helen, called Jonnie; Donald, called Pete; James, called Buddy.

My youngest brother's name is Danny, not Daniel. He likes it. He's 50+ years old.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:29 PM

As a school nurse, I have had 2 students still named Infant. It's just lazy moms who have not taken the time to add their real names to the birth certificates, but who think we are going to call them by those names. No dice, we gotta call them by what is on their birth certificate. So Infant they stay.
Also, we have children whose names are just unpronounceable by the way they are spelled, some take offense. I tell them "hey, don't get offended just let us know how you pronounce it and we will try again."
What were some of these moms thinking?
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by squilter
I forgot that we also had a lady who named all of her kids devil names....Lucifer, Demon, Satan and there were a few others that I can't remember. But we just couldn't believe someone would do this tho their children.

Originally Posted by squilter
I could of swore you lived in my town.....I worked for the Welfare Office for almost 30 years and these are some of the names I saw also. We really got some weird ones, I remember one name that had EVERY letter of the alphabet in it and the mother couldn't even pronounce it.

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
I have friends who were nurses a few years ago. They said they would offer up "made up" names to some of the mothers who hadn't decided on a name. Some of them actually took the names to heart. Some I remember are...Placenta, Le mon jel lo, and O range jel lo ( both pronouced as accented here. haha
I see you are from Missouri... I'm from Southern iowa... I think I may have known these kids... if i remember correctly, they lived up to their names. :(
Old 10-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Oh, I forgot my neighbor down the road with the boys named Dallas, Houston, Tyler, and Austin. All Texas city names.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:38 PM

Oh, I had a student names Sabriety, because her mom was on drugs and thought she would stop when the baby was born. No luck there.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Years ago, I got to chatting with an 18-year-old girl as we walked home from a commuter train. Since we turned out to be neighbors, living on the same block, we introduced ourselves before parting ways.

Her name was Pooh Bear!

Understand, she told me this just as normally as if she were saying her name was Lori or Sue.

I asked if it was a nickname, but she said no, her mother named her that. Happily, she was totally okay with it.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
I have a cousin whose last name is Woodruff....her husband is called Woody and their son is Chipper !

Also had a relative by marriage that was named Sandy Beech, she married and her name was then Sandy Beech Head !
Don't laugh, my name is Sandy Beach (Sandra E Beach). Got called Windy, Stormy, Rocky, etc., in high school.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

I see you are from Missouri... I'm from Southern iowa... I think I may have known these kids... if i remember correctly, they lived up to their names. :(
where in Southern Iowa are you? I am in SE Iowa
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Ahh.... why would you do that to three innocent babies??? Lol! I work nights, so my crazy middle of the night thoughts usually revolve around wondering what it is about babies that they seem to like to come in the middle of the night and when, oh when, is that clock going to speed up so I can go home and to bed! Virg