Does it bother you?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 AM

I had a woman in California tell me once "I didn't know people from the south still sounded like that if they had been to college." Color her stupid!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 AM

For a short while we lived in Arizona, Phoenix to be exact. You would be amazed at how many people there didn'[t even know where Nebraska is!! They thought we were talking about Alaska. Of course, I didn't help much when I told them about our cold winters, but really!lol
Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 AM

When we moved to Kent, WA in 1962 from Wichita, KS my mom was told to be careful because they were still shooting Indians out there. At first she thought they were kidding, but they weren't.

Luckily we weren't involved any any uprising.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 AM

During the last presidential election, I mentioned to someone I was voting for McCain. They answered me, "How can you not vote for Obama? You're married to a black man." Uh, it's not the same black man. They're all different, ya know.

(I'm not trying to start a political discussion, just pointing out the fact that when people know one thing about you, they often assume they know everything about you.)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Hay, I'm from Texas need I say more?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:31 AM

I grew up in Chicago & went to college in Iowa. Many people made comments about "all the gangsters & Al Capone" there. Had I ever met them? This was in 1959. C'mon people.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
I'm from Utah. Do I need to say any more?
LOL..I think you will find every state that has some kind of joke about it especially told by the neighboring states. When I lived in WV it was KY and OH..Now in Ga it's AL and vice versa on these of course. Funny how we are
Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Exactly. The same for the "wilds of Oregon"!!!
Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
When we moved to Kent, WA in 1962 from Wichita, KS my mom was told to be careful because they were still shooting Indians out there. At first she thought they were kidding, but they weren't.

Luckily we weren't involved any any uprising.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 AM

I had an experience that I still ruminate about after all of these years. The first time I went to a summer language school in Germany, my Italian roommate commented that she thought I was British until I spoke. I asked why she had made that assumption? She told me that I looked so "proper" (I still chuckle about that-can't even imagine anyone thinking that of me!!) She then said that she was sure I'd made assumptions about her when I learned that she was Italian. I said that nothing came to mind. . . She then asked if I hadn't assumed right away that she ate spaghetti every day-no, hadn't occured to me. Or maybe that she was part of the mafia-again, no-never made that assumption. . .The funny thing was that after 2 months of spaghetti every evening, I thought I'd never eat it again! And she brought it all with her when she came! (but I still don't think she was part of the mafia!!!)
Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 AM

My DH, who for a long time was involved in behind-the-scenes local politics, came home from a gathering one night and said: You know, after all these years I have finally come to the conclusion that "Everyone has a right to their own stupid opinion, even you and I" I think that about sums it up.