Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fleece makes great backing...REALLY? >

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

fleece makes great backing...REALLY?

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vicky K
Originally Posted by sushi
While I've not used it as backing, I've used fleece as batting a couple of times when I've needed to produce an ultra-warm quilt. It's worked beautifully.

While some think fleece is too expensive to use as batting, remember that because it's encased between the top and the backing, you can use the cheapest stuff available. (I have a "Mill End Textiles" near me where I bought a remnant at ~$3/yd.)
Do you use batting and fleece together to make the quilt warm or do you just use fleece? I would like to make myself an ultra-warm quilt.
I long arm for others and had a lady request to use fleece for the backing, I said OK I would try it. She also wanted batting in the quilt. I thought it was exceptionally heavy with the batting but it quilted up beautifully and the customer was very pleased with the turnout. I am thinking of using just as a backing for a baby quilt I am just finishing up.
OzarksGma
Old 10-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Demshine
Originally Posted by wesing
We used fleece for the back of a quilt and also used batting. It quilted beautifully with almost no lint, but the quilting did sink into the pile of the fleece on the back, making it a bit hard to see. That didn't really matter on this quilt since it was a utility quilt. It is definitely warm!

Darren
If you didn't see the quilting, then you wouldn't see my mistakes :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ahhh, good trick for hiding my mistakes! Going to have to pull out the 50% off any fabric coupon for Joanne's!!!
:lol:
Old 10-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by moreland
Originally Posted by sushi
While I've not used it as backing, I've used fleece as batting a couple of times when I've needed to produce an ultra-warm quilt. It's worked beautifully.

While some think fleece is too expensive to use as batting, remember that because it's encased between the top and the backing, you can use the cheapest stuff available. (I have a "Mill End Textiles" near me where I bought a remnant at ~$3/yd.)
I've used it for a long time--without batting, it makes a nice weight for couch throws or baby blankets. Mothers like the blankets because they don't move around on carpet when the baby begins to crawl, etc. I like to use the backing as self-binding--just pulling it to the front and stitching down with a decorative stitch. When using without batting, I try to use heavier weight. I often find really nice, heavy weight at Walmarts for 3-4 dollars a yard--It is not consistent so have to look for the heavier if that is what you want. The light stuff would be good as batting.
Thanks for the tip. I'd like to use the fleece backing as binding, but don't know how to do this. How much do you extend it from the front? Isn't it kind of thick? I was thinking of just birthing it. Any suggestions?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
QM
Power Poster

It depends entirely on the fleece. Some are very stretchy knits and don't work at all well. If you get one with a more stable back, it is a wonderful backing. You may not need a bat at all, like the one we just gave to a friend who is seriously sick. I do birth quilts like that.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by judykay
Has anyone ever hand quilted fleece? also I would like to know if any one has ever used in making a rag quilt, I know it won't ravel like flannel does but if there is flannel on the front what will the fleece do. I am thinking it might turn under but don't know what the entire outcome will look like. Has any one done this?
Yes, I did this about 7 years ago, I folded the seam and sewed it so it left a loop instead of a frayed cut edge. I did it on a dark blue fleece with green frogs printed on it. I even did a class at my shop on it. It really turned out cute.
I haven't hand quilted fleece but I would think it would have to be more like the "big stitch" quilting as it would be fairly bulky to be hand quilting.
OzarksGma
Old 10-09-2011, 04:14 PM

I recently used fleece for the backing (no batting) for 2 lap quilts and they turned out great! They are so soft and snuggly and I definately prefer it to cotton backing with batting if you are looking for a warm winter quilt.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:17 PM

I use fleece for the backing and have never had a problem. I also don't put batting when I use fleece. It does quilt well and washes great. I love it for comfy quilts. I don't use fleece when I make a quilt for my bed or a real quilt as I call them.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:57 PM

I use fleece all the time and works just great!!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM

I absolutely LOVE to use fleece as backing with flannel quilt tops. The ones I have done are tied not free-motioned. They are snuggly in the chill of winter and they are the favorites of all my family. And, I don't bother with batting when I use fleece. My favorite one to do is a rail fence...I put the top together with my serger...lay it out on the fleece and tie it. Really a quick project for me.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM

I back all of my lap quilts, usually 60x80 with fleece and also use batting. I do SID or decorative stitching and pin down well. I have been doing this for 3>4 years and they wash and wear just great. My grandkids take them when they ride buses to sports events and living in North Dakota, those buses are cold in the winter time. I wouldn't do a quilt any other way. I am going to patchwork some of my scrappy fleece pieces and use as a backing for a lap quilt for my DH. One of the things on my bucket list.