Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket? >

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Old 10-10-2011, 04:39 AM

I am going through that right now with my brothers daughter and grand daughter. And trying to explain that not all quilts are patchwork. Well ...... LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 AM

I haven't been quilting all that long, only a couple of years, but it really bothers me when a quilt is referred to as a blanket. Gave a quilt as a wedding gift and the new bride said, "oh, another blanket." Needless to say, I won't be giving quilts to anyone else who doesn't appreciate how much time, money and love went into making it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
project linus gives (blankee's) to children!
they do not care if it is an afghan, a quilt, or a (blanket) of some sort- to those children they are all BLANKEE'S that are loved, carried everywhere- used to build forts- and to snuggle with when they need a cozy hug.
don't get all hung up on a term- make quilts- and send them- the children honestly do not care what YOU call them- they will name them over again anyhow...
Doesn't bother me.. if hearing the term "blanket" used when describing a lovely traditional quilt is the most offensive thing that happens to me this week.. if will be a VERY GOOD WEEK.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:51 AM

It used to, then I realized that around here, ignorance is the norm. I guess "blankets" is probably a term used for anything that covers the body on a bed....I just figured since English is not the fist language for most around here, that is the term used...and it doesn't seem to bother me now like it used to. What REALLY bothers me? People without enough sense to put their grocery carts away and leave them all over the parking lot. How lazy and inconsiderate can you be, for cyring out loud!
Michelle
Old 10-10-2011, 05:09 AM

Everyone has their opinion, but YES, it bugs me when I've put all that work into a quilt and have someone call it a blanket. And, yes, I know PL accepts all types (I've made all types for them) but still, to me, a quilt is a quilt and a blanket is a blanket. Sorry, but that's just me.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:13 AM

It's not really a common term that is used here to refer to quilts.However, I've often had people refer to my quilts as 'tapestries'or 'wall hangings', which doesn't really phase me.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 AM

It doesn't bother me. Not everyone is into quilting like those on the board are. For me it is a matter of choosing your battles and this one is easy to ignore.
My granddaughter refers to any of her quilts as blankies and as long as she loves it I don't care.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Linus in the Snoopy cartoon had a blanket, not a quilt. I guess if you support the charity you have to get past that.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:18 AM

No it does not bother me, in the case of PL that's what they are.

In my own experience my aunts asked me to make a quilt from my Grandma's t-shirts, I did and put pieced blocks in between, everyone in the family signed the quilt, when it was finished Grandma was on her death bed and not alert when I took it to the nursing home, two days later Grandma died, my aunts put the quilt in the casket and it was buried with Grandma. A couple of weeks later in a dream(or whatever you may call it) Grandma came to me and said "Thank-you for the BLANKET" and that was the best compliment I have EVER received about one of my quilts!!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:26 AM

Yes.