Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket? >

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Does it bother you when a quilt is referred to as a blanket?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I have rarely heard a child call a quilt a quilt. It is generally a blanket. Beside, Linus carried a blanket, not a quilt.
Yes Linus and blanket is a match....call them anything just give.....
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM

My nephew (age 34) emailed me today and asked if I would make him a blanket out of his father's college t-shirts. His father, my brother-in-law, passed away from Alzheimers at age 74 on Sept. 26, after suffering with the disease for over 10 years. No matter what he calls it, I know what comfort it will bring him and I will be honored to make this "blanket" for him. Blanket, quilt - doesn't really matter what he calls it, I know he will cherish it.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 AM

censored :evil:
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM

YES!!! But, the I know that the person must not really know the difference.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Maybe hurt that the recipient doesn't realize that a "quilt" takes much more time, effort, expense and love to create than simply a "blanket". I recently make a baby quilt for a friend. Her thank-you note referred to the quilt as a blanket and I felt unfullfilled.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Linus always is seen carrying a blanket. Linus is a child. I'm sure most children who are covered up with anything would call it his or her "blankie". My feeling is if it is a gift the recipient can do or call it what they want. It would be my choice whether or not to make something elaborate and if I was giving it to a child to fill them with hope and love I wouldn't care what they did to it. Children are by nature messy.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM

Yes and no, depends on the source. At age 20ish, having just learned to make yeast rolls and hosting a dinner, an adult guest asked me to pass the biscuits. A BISCUIT!! So yes, proper recognition for labor is appreciated when the source should know better. Incidentally, I never did learn how to make biscuits, but my yeast rolls rock. And I make quilts, not blankets. Unless it's for PL, then it's blankies.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:56 AM

I'm with u, catrancher!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Project Linus can call it a blanket as a generic term BUT I still make quilts for them!

Quilts will always be quilts to me, never blankets. My grandaughter made her first quilt at my house last summer. She later referred to it as a blanket... to me that's like the sound of nails on a blackboard (to quote someone else). I gently corrected her and reminded her of the work she put into that quilt. (You can read the whole story on my blog if you are interested - http://needlingthings.blogspot.com/2...w-quilter.html

On another note, my youngest daughter had taken the first quilt that I had made when I was about 16 years old and was using it. Recently, she gave it back to me asking if I could fix it. She had been putting it through the wash EVERY WEEK! Needless to say I was upset. It is NOT a blanket that can easily be replaced with a trip to the store. I felt like she had no respect for my quilt or how it came to be.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM

No, it doesn't bother me