Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The machine that I was waiting on was delivered yesterday. ;) >

The machine that I was waiting on was delivered yesterday. ;)

The machine that I was waiting on was delivered yesterday. ;)

Old 10-11-2011, 04:29 AM

Try a sidewinder(portable bobbin winder) for the bobbin they are only $20 at JoAnns. I bought a used longarm(nolting) and the bobbins won't fit any of my sewing machines either.

[quote=AngieS]Thank you!!! I do have a ? though for you since you did have one. I read where some were catching fire? Is this something I should really be worried about. Someone also got shocked by theirs....? I'm already leary of using it and now that makes it worse. I am out of bobbin thread and the metal bobbin won't go on any of my machines. He said that they had to take them to the shop and have them filled. I only have ONE bobbin.....I am so wanting to quilt but can't. LOL!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM

Congratulations! You are in for a very fun journey with your quilting machine. You are blessed to be chosen for this gift. Perhaps a pretty quilt would be a nice thank you gift.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM

Congratulations on your gift! He is a very nice person to give his wife's machine to you. People who live alone always love company. Stop by and see him, bring him something special for him. Something to show you thought of him. A home cooked meal is always wonderful! Bring your children with you-they really can warm the hearts of the older ones. I think a small lap quilt for him would be nice. Something he can use when he feels the need.

Would love to see what it looks like. Can you post a picture?
Old 10-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wine Woman
Congratulations on your gift! He is a very nice person to give his wife's machine to you. People who live alone always love company. Stop by and see him, bring him something special for him. Something to show you thought of him. A home cooked meal is always wonderful! Bring your children with you-they really can warm the hearts of the older ones. I think a small lap quilt for him would be nice. Something he can use when he feels the need.

Would love to see what it looks like. Can you post a picture?
I sure can. ;) As soon as I can get to it. Got to look up something on the computer then I will. Thanks for being interested. ;)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM

[quote=AngieS]I'd like to do something as a Thank You but not sure what. Got any ideas? Thought about a table runner but eeeh, a gift card in the Thank You card? I don't know.....

I would send him a gift card to a restaurant....for a man living alone that would be appreciated...a meal he did not have to cook.....RE: your new quilting machine....just remember to oil (with sewing machine oil) after each project-in bobbin area and if there are wicks on top one drop on each..just like a dm before computers!!!! and lint in the bobbin area is a definite enemy so clean that area frequently, as the speed of the needle will cause more lint that generated by a dm.......have fun....look at a lot of tutes...they may not be of your machine, but the working of the machine is the same......
Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM

wooo hooo for you! Have fun with your new toy

Suzy
Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 AM

I can't tell you how touched I was reading your message. It's wonderful that he will be comforted knowing the machine is in good hands. Enjoy and God Bless
Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Thank you all for your encouraging words and advise. ;) I have already figured out about the tension on the bobbin seeing as though it was Waaaaaaaay off in the beginning. The Vac and Sew here in town has the same machine that I have soooooo. I think I should take a lesson on how to use it from her instead of messing up on mine by feeling around. She use to charge like $5 for an hour for a lesson. NOT a bad price at all I think!!! ;)

Design-A-Quilt Model DAQ-555-3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270108[/ATTACH]

DAQ-Excuse the mess-this is set up in our weight room for now.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270111[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-270055.jpe
Views:	564
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	270108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-270058.jpe
Views:	307
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	270111  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:51 PM

It is a sad story indeed. Bless his heart for thinking of others. He probably knows his wife would be so happy that a quilter received this gift.

To have lost his wife and then lost his grandson is an awful lot for one person to bear. Poor guy.

I'm thinking he might really appreciate food donations more than something quilted. Perhaps a casserole every now and then, or a dessert or salad. Single men have a hard time fending for themselves in the kitchen.

On another note, I noticed you're in Western KY. So am I!! I'm in Owensboro!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 PM

I just read Geri's suggestion about gift cards to restaurants. I think that's an awesome idea! I was seriously ill about three years ago; in a coma for almost three months. When I woke up, I had to learn how to walk again.
My fellow teachers all contributed about 2 dozen restaurant gift cards and some brought food over. That was a tremendous help for my husband and family until I was on my feet again.
Great idea!!