Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who does not use a walking foot on their DSM??? >

Who does not use a walking foot on their DSM???

Who does not use a walking foot on their DSM???

Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 PM

DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM

I don't. I had one and it splintered a chunk of plastic inside of my machine. Cost a ton to fix and I don't feel like using one.

Spray basting takes care of my problems anyhow.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:27 PM

My Pfaff has dual feed built in so I don't use a walking foot with it. But it is similar to walking foot.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

I use mine to sew my binding on the front ( then hand stitch to the back), and for basting my quilts. I have used it for straight line quilting too.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:46 PM

I haven't use my walking foot in about 3 years.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:50 PM

My Pfaff has dual feed and I wouldn't want to be without it. No puckers and I don't even have to guide the fabric if I don't want to and it goes straight. I do though because I like to be in control. lol :)
Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Hi Carolyn, I have friends in Smith, they moved from Fresh Pond, , Eldorado Co Calif back in the early 50's to Smith, Jim became Sheriff in Yerington for a while , was a hay farmer with his dad, some memories to relive, loved fishing in the river, cooking them on the creek bank while the fellas baled hay,Thanks for the memory :-P :roll: :thumbup:
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Originally Posted by SueSew
Originally Posted by MarySews
I would guess that the teacher never did any clothing construction -- wool, plaid is what I am thinking of, how I wish I had it in those days. I started using it for long sewing like cutains where the slight slide forward escalates as it goes on for many inches. It is so valuable for sewing long strips together, binings etc.
If it puckers, it is not working correctly.
Great idea to use it for curtains - I'm going to try it the next time I do long strips. But uh-oh I'm addicted to my 1/4" foot... I've only been using it for sandwiched stuff for SITD, straight-line and binding. Since I dont fmq it gets a lot of use,
I have a brother 1500s quilting machine, and it came with a walking foot, AND the edge of the walking foot is exactly 1/4 inch. LOVE it!
I'm so jealous - someone earlier in this thread said that they got a 1/4" walking foot. My walking foot is a big clunky thing, very wide. It's great for sandwiches but tough for binding. I tried moving the needle position to get 1/4 inch but I'm better off with the 1/4" foot for piecing - it guides the material so that I don't miss having both feed dogs at work. When I first started piecing, I moved the needle way to the right so that I could get both feed dogs working, which helped me to sew straight.

I saw one of the expensive Janome machines which has a fancy foot which you can set to walk or not to walk, depending on what you are doing. The problem with walking feet, as someone here pointed out is they are big and bulky and obscure your vision somewhat.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 AM

It keeps the fabric from puckering; maybe she is doing it all wrong. I'll be using mine more now with the new one from Viking (it's supposed to also work on other machines). It has interchangeable feet so with it you can reverse; zig zag and all of the other fancy stitches. There are several other feet that you can get in addition to the two that comes with it.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:23 AM

I got along fine with my singer without a walking foot, but my new machine (Pfaff) came with a built in one, and I use it all the time. I just love it! But, if my sewing machine didn't have the built in one, I probably wouldn't have bought it.