Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom! >

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

HummerGardenCrafts - My Mom!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkb
Never tell a stranger you have a gun. Never !
Why??
Old 10-25-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK
Oh my goodness! I KNOW you are upset ... you have every right to be. You are right, you probably won't get any sleep tonight! I am so sorry this happened to you. I think if that happens again, you should let them know you have a gun with you - maybe that would scare them off from your house, at least. As for the pups - do you think you could train them to use a puppy wee-wee pad in the house? That way they wouldn't have to go out after dark at all. Please be careful, and let us know if you find out any more. God bless.
I would NOT let anyone know I had a gun. Rather than 'scare them off,' it would warn them. I do not believe in warnings.
You might want to consider some motion sensor lights. And some bigger dogs.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Bless your heart. I can only imagine how upset you are. So glad you have a gun and know how to use it. I, too, have weapons strategically placed about the house and am not afraid to use them. Please keep us posted on any developments.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM

I`ve been waiting to hear if the officers called back, guess not. I think you are doing every thing right, it`t too bad the world is this way, don`t look like it will get better. Please let us know if any thing happens. Also the first thing I do now that I don`t need the child seat in a shopping cart, is to attach the child`s safty belt around the hand grip of my purse when I`m shopping. After a short while it becomes a habit. If some takes the purse, they`d be dragging a cart too.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Oh my goodness. I kept reading your story and waiting for thr punch line. Was I surpised that this was REAL. You poor girl. I would be scared out of my wits. Hope all turned out okay for you.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 AM

firearms can make you feel safer, BUT only if you can use them correctly. if anyone feels the need for one, get it. but that said, get training. know all the in's and outs of your particular gun. become familiar with it. get good at loading and unloading, make sure you can do it quickly and efficiently. know how to clean it and oil it. go to the range every month or two and keep up your skills. if its an automatic, you need to be sure to keep the magazines rotated.

if you just get one and keep it around without ever using it, will you be able to, Lord forbidding, use it when needed? if firearms aren't kept cleaned, oiled, and maintained, they will fail. and probably when you need it most. firearms are a responsibility, treat them right and they will treat you right.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 AM

Our prayers are with you! We have a boxer, but she would be no help. She runs to DH for protection, hehe. DH carries a hand gun ALL the time. We too live out in the country and you never know who will come knocking on your door at night.
When my mother was living back in the 70s and 80s she was alone and had a big pole light put out in front of the driveway. In the winter she would go upstairs to the bedroom at dark time. If anyone would come to visit they knew to stand under that light so she would know who was there, otherwise she would not answer the door. She would have every door, storm door and window in the house locked. It was a running joke in the family that if they needed to get in for an emergency they would have to break down a door or window. She said she wasn't afraid, she just wanted to be safe and that God was always with her.
I hope you eventually got some rest.
let us know if they found those people. God Bless you for giving you the where-with-all in knowing what to do.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM

Someone from OK said they have the same law that was just passed in PA. It's call The Castle Doctrine and it also states that if you feel threatened in your home you can shoot first and ask questions later. I am sure the key words here are...feel threatened. I've never read the law so I don't know exactly what it means. I guess I should say...how broad it extends. Like...I am home alone at night and someone comes to my door and then doesn't leave but is prowling around the property. Can I shoot this person because I feel threatened?

Sadly our german shepherd passed away in July. He was a deterrent to ANY stranger. Family was okay and some friends but...if someone who had only been here once or twice before came and we invited them in he would go into protect mode.

Now we have 2 rescue dogs...a Foxhound that is scared of her shadow because she was abandoned at age 3 by IDIOTS. And a Shepherd/Huskie mix that would open the door and say come in and take what you want...lol.

I'm pretty sure that I have read that you aren't supposed to announce you have a gun as others said...it can be used against you. Surprise is so much better so they don't have any time to think and react. I've also heard about the reasons to have and NOT to have BEWARE OF DOG signs.

Oh something else friends of ours did at their vacation home in DE was to get some ADT security signs and put on their doors and windows. They didn't have the system...but they do now. We had a vacation property for a few years and I found signs at Radio Shack that said the place was monitored. Never had a problem in the 6 years we owned it...but other homes in the same community were broken into.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:51 AM

You are a very smart lady to do what you did. It is sad how people will do anything to try to get in someone's house. It makes me think it is a good thing to keep a handgun. I am so glad you are ok.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
Originally Posted by bkb
Never tell a stranger you have a gun. Never !
Why??
Because they know you have it and can prepare to get it from you. If you are not an expert in martial arts, and even if you are, why give an attacker any advantage that can be used against you?