Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 04:38 AM

I am in the same situation- off to Israel in 2 weeks. I am taking a GFG hand piecing project and some Hawaiian applique. You can take on board scissors as long as the tips are 2 inches or less and blunt tip. Also, Clover makes a round pendant type thing that has little cutters, great for cutting thread or yarn. Have a good trip.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
The TSA site says you can take scissors with blades under 4" and I didn't have any trouble with that when I traveled in August, but I'd take a backup just in case like the clover circular cutters with only a slit for the blade area, and only my second best scissors.
I understand that the clover circular cutters are not allowed because they can be taken apart and the blade used. Reminds the airlines of the box cutters used during 9/11. It might even be listed as a item not allowed on the TSA website. Please check.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 AM

Just wondering..what oes the TSA do with all the goods they keep? Does anyone know ?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 AM

Have had no problem with small scissors or knitting needles within the U.S. International is a whole different story and they are RIGID. Lost nail clippers, matches from hotels, knitting needles, crochet hooks. Needlepoint blows their mind if on a frame; stewardess thought I had a washboard and two of them came to check it out!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

About six years ago I was buying nail scissors "in big lots" from e-bay sellers.

I think the sellers purchased scissors by the pound from TSA.

There were some really nice ones in some of the lots - and some really bad ones that wouldn't even cut paper!

I would have been quite upset to give up some of those scissors! A couple of them were very worn looking bird ones. A few Dovo scissors. Some of the scissors from Pakistan are wonderful.

I really don't know how one can completely prevent mayhem on a plane or anywhere else - one can do quite a bit of damage with a fist or a finger on a critical pressure point.

Maybe put the passengers on the plain naked and put them in shrink wrap so they can't move? Load and unload them like boxed cargo.

Not sure what "they" would do with the clothing and carry-ons. Would be interesting to see how "they" would match the people and items up at the destination point.

I digressed.

I'm trying to think of some crafting project that doesn't involve a cutting instrument or a pointed object. Haven't thought of anything yet.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 AM

I had been carrying a Swiss Army accessory knife for 20 years that had never been taken away from me at the airport. It had a nail file, clipper, scissor with about 1" blade, and a couple of other things that I can't remember on it. Last time we flew through Nashville they took that away from me. I got annoyed with the agent and he told me that I couldn't get out of line and take it to my vehicle that once I reached that point it became theirs. . I told him there seemed to be a great discrepancy in policy between their airport and the many that had already passed it through over the years. Do you think he cared? He told me they just hadn't caught it yet and that NO scissors of any kind were allowed.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM

This is what makes air travel frustrating! You check the website, do as you are told, get to the security line and the agent makes the decision. I even took a copy of the TSA information and showed it to the agent. I'm just lucky I'm not serving time in Federal prison!! He still took my TSA approved instrument.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 AM

I have flown recently and took some hand piecing along in a little case. After I got on the plane I had small blunt nose scissors hanging from my neck. No one said a word.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 AM

CALL your airline and ask them about what you can take. I think you will be surprised. I was told that I could do my embroidery on there but depends on the airlines.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:30 AM

I just got back from a trip to Europe. I took my embroidery work with me and had no problem using a needle and stork scissors.(scissors have to be under 3") Go on line and check with your airlines for rules because they vary from airline to airline. (Also, I took my clover cutter with me just in case they took my scissors.)