Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 05:52 AM

I take children's blunt nose scissors - and I'm addicted to paper piecing, it takes up little space. Karen
Old 10-26-2011, 05:53 AM

I fly from Atlanta to Houston and back a couple of times a month to visit grand kids. I always have some hand-piecing or hand-quilting with me. I carry small scissors, needles, threader, thread and a thimble in an old eyeglasses case. If I'm piecing, I can usually get enough blocks in it to keep me busy for several hours. I never have any trouble, but I do have a lot of lookers and interested people. My first quilt was named "From Atlanta to Houston". The second one was "...and Back Again". For a while after 9/11, I took my thread with the needles already threaded on it and just broke the thread, but I haven't done that in years.

From Atlanta to Houston
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277239[/ATTACH]

...and Back Again
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277240[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-277186.jpe
Views:	20
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	277239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-277187.jpe
Views:	23
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	277240  
Old 10-26-2011, 06:23 AM

The rule is you can have sissors with blade no longer than 4" and it does not have to be blunt, I had thought the whole sissors could not be more than 4", but this came from a TSA supervisor. I think you could do a lot of damage with 4" blades. You can have knitting needles, because I saw someone knitting. She had the round needles because they don't project out like the regular straight needles. The best thing is to look on the TSA website for up to the minute lists. The time will past faster than you think. Have a great trip.

I heard someone say they were told by the flight attendant to put up a cross stitch needle (which is blunt), so I think it would be a good idea to take the list with me on the plane if there are any questions. I can understand how antsy a flight crew could be. I know people cripe about security but I want everyone checked on my plane. As courtesy, I would tell the flight attendant, as I boarded, what I was doing and carrying, that way you are up front with them and maybe they will not question you later.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mommomjoann
Just wondering..what oes the TSA do with all the goods they keep? Does anyone know ?
They sell it eventually.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 AM

The rules have relaxed a bit here in this country regarding sissors and knives, but the rules from the country you will be returning from are all over the place. One Country took my mom's stitch savers ( used in knitting) they let her keep the knitting needles but took the stitch savers.... so there really are no hard and fast rules in other countries.. and it is very prone to on the spot decisions that can vary from one passenger to the next.
Here you can take small sissors, blades under 3 inches ( I think , mine are only 1.5 inches ,so I am not 100 percent sure of the exact limit to blade lenght).
On one recent flight a passenger raised a really loud and obnoxious issue about my 83 year old mothers knitting needles...it was to the point of humiliation. The flight attendant did finally come and set the passenger straight , and my mom kept her knitting needles , but was very very embarrased and upset.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:00 AM

When travelling from Canada to Mexico, I was allowed knitting needles but no scissors. When I got to Mexico I just cut the yarn. I'm sure a crochet hook would be fine. Happy travelling!
Old 10-26-2011, 07:09 AM

I have flown all over the world in the last few years and have always taken embroidery with me. I buy Fiskars blunt kids scissers 5 at a time and those are the ones I take.
My daughter travels all over the world on her job, including trouble spots (she's heading to Baghdad this week) and always takes knitting with her. She doesn't take metal needles but otherwise has been fine.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM

You can take almost blunt end Singer scissors (not the kids type) on a plane. How do I know? We noticed them the day after I arrived at my sister's recently!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM

I checked out TSA.gov site. Small scissors less than 3 in blades are allowed. Someone suggested just having a needle threaded and in your piece to get started. Personally I've packed my things in my carry on and carrying my quilt as my blanket for my trip. I'm hand quilting so it almost looks finished. I basted the extra backing over the filling edge so a not to irritate myself or my husband with the batting. Good luck on your trip.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

i carry fingernail clippers wit me to cut thread, never had a problem