Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM

don't you find it funny that we can still carry a purse on? You could choke someone with the handles! Bet they haven't thought of that :lol:
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM

I travel for business all the time. You can take scissors up to 4" long - even sharp ones. You can take crochet, knitting needles (I generally use short ones or circulars on the plane so I won't stab anyone but you can take any kind of knitting needle.) I frequently take a small breath mint (alto kind) box with small embroidery scissors, thimble, needles and a spool of thread. Then any hand piecing or handwork I have to do...I even point it out to the security and they say it is fine.

So - no big scissors, but otherwise just have fun!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:47 AM

crochet hooks and knitting needles can be sharpened into a good weapon very quickly. but than again a weapon can be made out of a ball point pin that will actually shoot bullets If a person has a mind to they can make about anything into a weapon.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM

I heard an elter lady took her knitting on boafe and they took her knitting needles away from here---they thought she might knit an afghan.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:13 AM

sorry about the typeing errors.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 AM

if your scissor blades are short they pass, or mine did, practices are very different i have found
Old 10-26-2011, 11:20 AM

check with the TSA website and/or the airline website. Make sure to have the list printed out in case there is any question.

from the travelsense.org website:

Knitting Needles, Needlepoint & Sewing
Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, security officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow these items to pass through security. To avoid this from happening, bring circular knitting needles made of bamboo or plastic and blunt scissors. In any event, be sure to carry a crochet hook with yarn to save the work you have already done in case your knitting tools are surrendered at the checkpoint

Most of the items needed to pursue a needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items must go in your checked baggage.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:26 AM

i have the round thread cutter from herrschners...strung it on elastic cording with a variety of beads... looks like a regular necklace...

and, all the beads were left over from other projects..so no real cost there!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

I also crochet. The last flight I took to and back from California, I took a pair of rounded end.childs scissors. No one said anything and they work just fine for cutting thread. Good Luck.......
Old 10-26-2011, 12:13 PM

I usually plan on someething simple - like yo yo's or redwork
I have taken scissors with me - they allow the blunt end kids scissors. I have taken knitting with me, and they allow plastic needles, but not metal, have also taken bamboo needles - but not all airlines will allow those. Check with your airline to be sure.