Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 02:31 PM

My Great Grandfather on my grandmother's side was ...

William Henry Harrison Goldman ........ who later had a son (my great uncle) he named ........

Theodore Roosevelt Goldman !!

On my grandfather's side was a cousin....

Queen Elizabeth Land.

I think it was wonderful that Queen Elizabeth did NOT marry Theodore Roosevelt !!!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM

My great grandma's cousin was Vivian Vance...Ethyl on I Love Lucy.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM

My, not sure how many greats, grandmother was the first white women to get a deed in Lancaster PA, from William Penn himself. Before moving to the US, she also had an interview with Queen Ann of England.

My Great Great aunt on my mom's side worked at Ellis Island

I also have quite a few ancestors that fought in the CW and also(though not the same ones) the RW. There is also one who made guns for the RW.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM

My dads relative Charles Esdress Burns was shanghied someplace in Scottland and eventually ended up in the US. Do not know what his real name was because he changed his name when he volunteered in General Braddock's army in the Revolutionary War. He spent the winter at Valley Forge. In what little reserch I have done, there were lots of Burns' in the northern states. My dad was born in Ohio and I still have lots of relatives there. His dad, Charles L. Burns invented the first incendental clutch that was used in automobiles for many many years. Of course he didn't patten it. My dad had a little lawn mower shop in Bluffton, Ohio when I was little and he claims that he invented the first power lawnmower. He didn't patten it cause he didn't think that anyone would be interested in it. (this is what he claimed) He died 6 yrs ago at the age of 102.

Don't know to much about my moms family. She was Penn. Dutch. She was born in Indiana. The only thing I know about her family that is interesting is that her people, back several generations from her, were Dunkards. Who I think are an offshoot of Amish, Mennonites, don't know for sure. The research I did say that the Dunkerds are from The north countries, like Norway/Holland, and were called the "Annabaptist" I didn't read a lot of the info cause it is really boring.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Jane Austin is my Great......Aunt on my mother's side.

On my father's side we are still learning about the family. My GGG Grandfather is the generation that first came to the US. For three generations they popped back and forth across the ocean from Germany to the US. The family is German/Russian Jewish although my Grandfather dropped the religion during the Nazi occupation. He was a ferocious liar as he created a new life story to cover the passed. What we do know is that my GG Grandfather was taken to a concentration camp by the SS and his daughter was an actress with dual citizenship (born in England) and was able to use her connections at the US Embassy to get him released. They went from the gates of the camp to the gangway of the ship to the US and never looked back.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:35 PM

My great-grandfather was a full-blooded Native American named Osceola Creighton Reid. Osceola for an Indian chief (from another tribe, we think....never figured that one out!), Creighton from the missionaries that gave the family medical care and Reid is an English version of RED, as in RED MAN, meaning Indian. Anybody into Native American geneology? I'd love to know more! PM me if you can help????
Old 10-27-2011, 03:39 PM

The thing that I love about these threads is that it always gives me something to learn about. I had no idea that The Orphan Train existed. When I looked it up I found that there is a PBS special about it. My next stop, Netflix.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM

Preachers, catholic priests, bankrobbers and horse thieves.....along with a man who moved from state to state buying land everywhere and when he died it took a long time to find it all. Grandpa lived down the road from Belle Starr. Folks who were some of the first to cross over the Appalachean trail. Distant cousin to Robert E. Lee and Johan Sebastian Strauss.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:52 PM

My sister has done an amazing amount of genealogy and hoped to find someone who fought in the American Revolution, she did but he was on the wrong side and so a neighbor shot him in the leg.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
After reading everyone else's stories, I guess being descended from the Hatfields is kind of blah.
For me, it isn't the royalty or famousness of your ancester, but the fun stuff you can find out about them