Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
The thing that I love about these threads is that it always gives me something to learn about. I had no idea that The Orphan Train existed. When I looked it up I found that there is a PBS special about it. My next stop, Netflix.
there's a movie made, maybe in the 40s with watler pigeon and greer garson - don't remember the name but it's set in Canada, and the main plot is walter is trying to run for some gov't office and an orphan train comes thru his town and a little girl is put in a family that didnt want her, so she ends up with walter and greer - but, they are protestant and the little girl is catholic (actually, not all the kids were orphans, some were given up by families that could not care/ feed them!) and people in the town think 1. its a political move for walter, and 2. its not right for a catholic to live with protestants. In the meantime the little girl loves these people asnd wants then for parents. It's really a very nice movie and actually has a plot and no bad words, violence, or nudeity , look at the TCM website and you might find the name of the movie under one of the actors names.
they really moved kids around a lot! a few hundred yrs ago - there's a movie in production right now about kids taken from England and sent w/o their parents knowledge or concent to Australia. I guess the kids were in poor homes, or under the care of the crown or something, but they actually had parents. sharet
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM

I am a dead wringer for my father and many people ask me if I know him when they look at me. For years I have seen several people who look like him. Dad was a sperm donor and I would love to find my donor siblings. Dad is not interested in finding them someday when the time is right, I will search.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
My great-grandfather was a full-blooded Native American named Osceola Creighton Reid. Osceola for an Indian chief (from another tribe, we think....never figured that one out!), Creighton from the missionaries that gave the family medical care and Reid is an English version of RED, as in RED MAN, meaning Indian. Anybody into Native American geneology? I'd love to know more! PM me if you can help????
There is an Osceola County here in Florida.......named for the tribe but that's all I know since I'm a foreigner from Boston...lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 PM

My aunt was researching the family tree in a little town. Another man was in there doing his own research. She found where a great great aunt had been very wealthy, owning much real estate etc. She got the big head and bragged to the man. He said, "She should have been wealthy, she ran the biggest whore house in the area!"

I also have ancestors who walked The Trail of Tears.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM

My GG grandfather was on the lost emigrant train.( (Oregon) A man named Elliot left them there.They were found and my GGgrandmother was married on the trail.She was the last living member of that train,she died at 97.if I remember right. There are a few books about that wagon train.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 PM

that is like my Grandmother..she never would talk about my Great grandmother being Native Indian because they tried to hide that fact.
Now they are all dead and NOBODY knows who/what/where etc about our native roots.
----------------------------------
The Grandma who raised me was supposed to be part Indian, but was raised to never, ever mention such a thing in public. And so was I not to ever mention that my Dad's mother was German during WW2, it was well known but never spoken about. I don't much look Indian but pictures of my Mom with her sisters made my one of my Grand Kids comment they looked like a bunch of old Squaws!!!

And my Dad said he was the only guy in the Navy (1918) who had been raised on a farm where the after breakfast and lunch prayers ended with "AMEN, Boys hitch up the team." Surprised him to find that after meal prayers weren't common. (Not that he followed their teaching....)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:18 PM

I was always told that half my ancestors where here to meet the other half when they came over on the Mayflower. And I've been told we were related to George Washington, none of this has been proved that I'm aware of.
One of my Mom's sister's worked for a President wife as her assistant, and I was the breeder of Pres. Clinton's dog Buddy he had while he was in Office.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra
I have royal blood from the English royalty of Plantagenets (?)... wrong side of the blanket, but because there are only about 3 million of us estimated to exist I'd like a little respect here, please.
that means you and I are related!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:32 PM

{After the end of that war, they moved further out West from Texas and he recalls trying to get over the last mountain range to California... The old car couldn't handle it but reverse was apparently more powerful so they crossed the full span of the Sierra Nevadas driving backwards in reverse in their old car circa 1920! (This backwards thing explains a lot...) }

I laughed when I read this because my mother told me stories of her uncles backing up Stone Mountain in Atlanta because going forward uphill the gas wouldn't get to the engine.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM

My great great Uncle owned marble mines and lumber companies in Canada. He lived to be 94 and on that day we was going to get his first marriage license and was run over by the mail man and never married.
His accountant took all his money and he died broke.