Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 04:36 PM

I am a descendent of Cassandra Southwick. She & her family were arrested because they were Quakers in the 1600's in Salem, Mass.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:38 PM

WOW!!! What a thread! Love all the stories. Don't know of any famous people in my family. I remember meeting my ggm when I was litte, about 8yrs old. She was 94 and had gone blind, but she was sitting in he rocker, on the porch, she was hand sewing a quilt. Later I was given that quilt. I still have 52 years later. So, I know I got the quilting bug from her.

My gm had 4 children and the first was killed by a train, as she was hard of hearing. So, when my uncle was born, she would tie him to the clothes line, when he was outside to play.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

WE had an however many uncle that was a mule thief. He would steal a mule in one town and sell it in the next. He finally got caught and tarred and feathered.

My GGGrandfather was an architect in south Georgia and built plantation houses and courthouses, some of which are still standing.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM

This is great! I don't have anything spectacular to write about....let's see...

My great Aunt Nettie was the cook for the Post family, (as in cereal,) in Pasadena.

My great, great, grandfather, Thomas Milner, helped to found the town of White Bear Lake, MN. Anyone from there? Maybe we're related.

I'm part Bohemian and I hate the term, "Boho," so don't ever go there.

~Cindy
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM

On my mother's side of family: Annie Oakley and the painter Grandma Moses.
Annie Oakley is buried about 1-2 hrs. from where I currently live.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Not much here except my maternal great grandmother was related to the Chryslers of auto fame. I think I need to study up on family after reading all these great stories!My great grandfather also on my mom's side, was cut in half by a train at the age of 37. He worked at the railyards. His wife died of a gun shot wound years later (they think she killed herself but really were not sure).
Old 10-27-2011, 04:50 PM

This is a long shot... however is anyone related to the Pinkus family? They are the family on my father's side and we are researching.

My next thought is that all you Hatfields and McCoys should get together for a quilter's retreat.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

My two oldest children's father was a direct descendent of Manuel Butron, a spanish soldier that came from Spain with Father Junipero Serra. He was given one of the original Spansh Land Grants to property which is now the City of Carmel in California.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:02 PM

My Mom's family goes to the Russells of "Russellville, Kentucky" but the guy that I got the most info on was Charlie Russell. He was out hunting indians with Davey Crockett and got killed by the indians. Now when Disney made the Movie series about Davey Crockett, they had his good friend go all the way to the Alamo with him but he died back up there in "what now is called east Tennessee."

Now Dad's side: (We had some of the partakers of the moonshine.) Nepolean got drunk one night and shot out the City of Coldwater, Mississippi's street lights out. The town folk ran him and his family out of town at the turn of the 20th century. They traveled in a covered wagon to Newark, Arkansas and help grow a new town. My dad graduated from high school there and my cousin still lives there.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:08 PM

My great grandfather made a lot of money by inventing a special grain car for the railroads...then abruptly died. So, my great grandmother went to California and invested all of the money in miles of San Clemente, beachfront property...then lost it all to back taxes during the depression. Easy come, easy go.

~ Cindy