do you use your china?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 PM

Funny that this topic just came up. I was cleaning my built-in china cabinet and decided to start using the lovely Shelby Noritake that my aunt willed to me. I have a full set of Royal Albert Tranquility that I have packed up and stored away. it was in my 'hope chest'. I like my aunt's china better. Also using my good crystal stemware. It's so pretty when it's all washed up. I have my grandmother's silver-plate-Old Colony Rogers Bros. I have added to her set. My silver-plate-Roger's Brother's Silvery Lace, was given to my youngest son and his wife. When they split up, he kept it. I want it to go to my granddaughter if she ever wants it.
Since the young people don't want stuff they can't put into the dishwasher, I have no idea what will ever become of my "stuff". I don't care though. I'm using it and going to enjoy it. I don't mind hand washing the "good" dishes.
My everyday stuff is white stoneware and if we have a large group, it goes well with the good dishes too. I like mixing things up!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:55 PM

I have a set of Noritake, that was given to us by my brother, stationed in Okinawa, 49 years ago. Have added to that set from Ebay, and then inherited a set of my aunt's, of Castleton, and it was probably purchased in the 30's. I have added to that set, also from Ebay. We used to use our wedding china every Sunday, just so our girls knew how to eat off of good china. I have also heard that china should have a soaking bath occasionally, to prevent drying out. I used to do that, but have packed it away now, and never get it out, but once a year, and that is just to wash it. I do have a wheat pattern of noritake that we use every day.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by sammy89
ok ladies I got rid of all my china i brought from home(germany) too much trouble I have a set for 8 regular matching dishes we use every day.Then we use "fine" china my son call it when ever lol (paperplates)
we call it "pine china", and i insist we use it often, since i'm the only one who does dishes around here!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM

My parents started a set of china for me when I was 14. I have them in the cupboard. I havent had them out to use in years. With 6 kids and their spouses and 13 grands, we use paper plates when we are all together. Its not about hte dishes you use, it the time you spend together that counts.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 PM

my china is 50 yrs. old. tells my age. I use it for holidays and special dinner(or used to ) it will go to my oldest granddaughter_ I don't know if the younger generation \cares about antiques or not It is a 12 piece set .and I did break the small salt shaker. Have all the pieces. has had a lot of use. Dont know what we save these things for.????????
Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 PM

With just the two of us paper plates are the good china, but have a set that I use when the family is around.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:07 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

My "best" dishes are locked in a china cabinet to which we have lost the key.

So much for using those!

But I was just given a set that was my aunt's, and we did just use those for dinner tonight. It was a distinct pleasure.

Our everyday dishes are mismatched leftovers of Corelle & plain china, plus some Nelson McCoy strawberry plates that I bought on eBay because I loved (and collected) the matching canisters. However, the dishes scratch badly.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 PM

My mother had a set of Royal Albert - Pettite Point - some of the pieces got broken over the years, when I inherited it, someone told me to check with the following people, and even though it was discontinued I was able able to replace and finish off the other pieces as well. Pic attached to show pattern. We try to use it whenever we can.

http://www.replacements.com

They have over 3,000 patterns in stock - so if you are missing some of your pieces you may want to look at this site. They also carry silverware and crystal. Nice people to deal with.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-278105.jpe
Views:	95
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	278158  
Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I want to start collecting a china set (Royal Albert Old Country Roses) but am wondering that with inheriting so many china sets (Mom's christmas Spode, grandma's wedding china, grandma's set the she got just because) if it's worth collecting my own set. Of course, I already have a set of everyday dishes but from what I'm reading, it's becoming more normal to use your fancy dishes all the time, not just formal occasions.

Do you guys use your china, let alone have any?
I love Old Country Roses! Such a classic! I've been collecting pieces of this set for the past 10 years. Though I may not often use the dinnerware, I have all of the "accessories" eg teapot, creamer, throughout my home. Oddly AND thankfully, I have a busy 5yr old and 4 playful cats....knock on wood they seem to know to stay away from my pieces!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 AM

I used to use it all the time when I was younger and entertained routinely. It was my grandmothers and quite lovely and expensive Bavarian. Now I don't use it. It is in my daughter's china closet used as decoration. Everyone is afraid to use it. :shock: