Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 AM

I sew all kinds of things. I used to make all my clothing but gave that up years ago. Will only do that rarely now. I love making purses and pincushions. I need to stop making purses because I have a load of them and that would free up more time for quilting!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:54 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

while I have sewn my garments and kids toys, costumes, quilts and crafts since the 7th grade economics class, I mainly quilt, crafts, costumes and sew for the pets and grandkids and home decor now. yep, some things never change! I enjoy any sewing, cross stitch and crafts.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 AM

From wedding gowns, mother of the bride suits, to baby clothes, I have done it all. I started sewing many many years ago, and now I am quilting. I still make clothes for my granddaughters though. The love of sewing has been in my life for as long as I can remember.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:07 AM

I've sewn seems like all my life, clothes for me then my kids, prom dresses, wedding gown, aprons. Just pretty much anything that was needed or wanted. I don't do it as often now that I'm quilting but when I need something like a new pincushion etc. I make it.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:09 AM

I started quilting first when my oldest son was 5 or 6 then when my daughter was born I started making clothes for her. When my kids were young I made their Halloween costumes. Now I mainly quilt, sometimes do some home dec sewing. Recently I made a christening dress for my co-worker's daughter. She wanted it made from her wedding dress.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 AM

I'll have to devote some of my quilting time to sewing PJ's for Chrsitmas. I enjoy doing all types of needlework.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 AM

My first introduction to sewing was through a home economics class, and after that I loved sewing clothes. Even my sister was borrowing the clothes I made for myself. Several years later when I heard about quilting, I thought 'how ridiculous to buy fabric to cut it up in little pieces to sew it together again into a big piece.' It just struck me as funny. As time went on and I wasn't doing much fashion sewing, I picked up quilting. Now I am back doing fashion sewing, home decor and quilting.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:33 AM

I have been sewing since I was 13 and used to make all my clothes and much of my childrens. I have done things from curtains to fake fur coats. I still enjoy sewing and it is still my therapy place.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Yes, I have sewn clothing, my sister's wedding gown, curtains, MTO costumes for roll-playing son, slip covers, things for kindergarten like beanbags and puppets, etc. I love hand embroidery. I don't sew much clothing, now, because of the ridiculous price of patterns and fabric. It's more fun digging for wearables (and recyclables for quilts) in thrift stores and yard sales.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Banned

probably MOST of us...I do a lot of sewing that is NOT quilt related.