Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM

For the most part I quilt but do a lot of things to sell at craft shows. I used to sew all my clothes and even for my husband and sons.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 AM

I sometimes think I was born with a needle stuck in my left arm - threaded and ready to be pulled out by the right hand and plunged into fabric. I got a secondhand manual Singer for my 8th birthday and never stopped sewing since. I yearned to learn quilting, and when that happened, all the other loves took a sad second place. Still sew soft furnishings and some outfits - especially ones that can be beaded and embellished. As long as there is a needle closeby I'm happy!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 AM

clothes, bags, pillows, slippers, etc. and a ton of mending!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 AM

guilty I do it all just quilts have slowed me down on other jobs and its all because of you guys Go ahead take the blame you have earned it. I could really get a lot done if it weren't for you people.
I can't believe that you would brainwash me into becoming a total quilter but you have. I just gotta try all those patterns What am I to do? I am so stuck in a rut. Can't get out Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love it Love it Love it So all you sew er's be aware be very aware Quilts is the in thing
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 AM

I also love to do Halloween costumes for the grandkids. Right now, the fun stuff is on hold while I re-upholster two chairs for my DD. Can't wait to get back to quilting.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM

I do alteration for others as well as sewing garments for myself and my now grown daughters and young grand daughters..... 13, 10, and 3. I also make costumes and sew for our local museum. I actually will sew and can sew about anything.....with a pattern!

I have a serger and wouldn't sew without one!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 AM

As a child, I started with making "Barbie" doll clothes. When I got married, my mother in law taught me to make my own maternity clothes, and she even bought me a used sewing machine. (How I wish I still had that machine!) Then sewed for my children, husband and myself. When my husband's grandmother got married for the second time, when she was in her 70's, I made her wedding dress!! Afterwards, while the children were still small and at home, I sewed Country Ruffled Curtains for a local gift shop. Did this for 2 years. By now the kids were in school, so gave up sewing and joined the work force. It is only in past few years after empty nest, that I have returned to my love of sewing, but this time it is with quilting and embroidery. Love it.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
I have been wondering if most people that quilt also do other types of sewing as well? I do a lot of different types of sewing as well as quilting and enjoy it all.
Me too. I sew everything from home dec-utility to clothes.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM

If I need to, I'll occasionally do something in the home dec. line, but have never liked doing those sorts of things. I used to make dolls and most of my clothes before I got into quilting and really enjoyed doing both. When my job ended and the need for a lot of new clothing ended, I got into quilting and now I do only that. I haven't made a doll in a long time and, in fact, I still have an unfinished one ... I just got tired of doing her hair transplants, so she has remained half-bald, with no dimples, and naked for several years now. The last sort of non-quilty thing I made was a bed skirt ... to go with a quilt I made.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 AM

I started sew at age nine in 4-H with the standard tote bag and scarf. I was hooked and have made just about anything you can on a sewing machine. Long dresses, short dresses, pants, shirts, kids clothes, bridesmaid dresses, drapes - I have 2 bags of long drapes waiting on me now that need shortened. Quilting is a recent hobby.....it's all I do now! And I refuse to do someone elses mending, I have a hard enuf time getting my own done.