do you use your china?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 AM

Oh...I have so many sets of dishes. I have two different sets that I use for everyday, I have the China from my marriage, I have Thanksgiving dishes, and Christmas dishes (both the holiday dishes will serve 20...as I have 10 kids)....and I am currently collecting odd pieces of china plates to use for everyday. I love the old fashioned tea cups and saucers, and have a few of those, including one set my mother painted. I love dishes almost as much as I love fabric....so yes, I have a lot!! As soon as my youngest turned 6, I got rid of all the plastic stuff, except for a few pieces that I keep on hand for the grandkids. I want my kids to know how to handle glass/stoneware dishes, and if we don't use them, then they can't learn how to handle them. Of course, of one set of my everyday dishes, I have enough to serve 24 people...that way I have lots of replacements for breakage.

And yes, we use it. My feelings are if we never use them, what's the point? These are my things to use and enjoy while I can.....so I allow my kids to get the stuff out and use them. If something gets broken, yes a huge disappointment, but after all, it's only dishes!!

I say, enjoy your dishes. Use them. And enjoy the fun of having a pretty table set from time to time.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 AM

Yes I use mine why not. other wise it just sits around taking up space. Makes for a nice change to use pretty dishes. My mom gave us girls each a set. So I had two daughters , so I bought another at an estate sale this way each daughter gets a set. I'm using them now until they get them.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:25 AM

I have Princess House crystal that we use for holidays or whenever. I don't believe in saving it for "good". I drink out of the mugs every day.

We use Corelle ware for everyday. Kids must use plastic cups (Tupperware from ages and ages ago) and I use crystal. Once they get over breaking things (my daughter is 32 and still has a habit of dropping things) they will be allowed to use the glass ones every day.

I've always wanted Lenox china but really don't need it. I've started collecting Polish stoneware, again, using the pieces, not saving them.

I love a table set with linens, napkins and china and crystal. Kind of like playing dress up when you were a kid. :)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 AM

I have my sister's 12 place setting of Wedgwood Belle Fleur and I have a set of silverplated flatware, which I rarely use. Figure they would need to be hand washed. I use white dishes (French Countryside)for special occasions. I just change the tablecloth and napkins to suit the season or holiday.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:35 AM

I have wedding china that is used for Easter and random special occasions; Christmas and Thanksgiving china (pretty self-explanatory!) Also have crystal and silverware. I love a really pretty table!! Am getting my mother's candlewick shortly!! If you have it use it and enjoy it! Doesn't do much good in the sideboard...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Have a beautiful 10 place setting of Booths Real Old willow. Have been collecting it since we were first married. Guess what? I never use it!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Bea

I bought a 16 pc. set of Noritake china before I married. It was the thing to do back in 1952. Used it only for holidays and decided to pack it up and get rid of it. Only one of my 3 daughters wanted it. It was a wonderful surprise to find her using it for Christmas dinner the next year. The other two daughters got money to equal the china and they were happy with that.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 PM

Contact Replacements Limited if you need a piece. They will probably have it, and will notify you when a new piece comes in.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:03 PM

We have a set of Bavarian china...saved for it and finally got it. We have used and enjoyed it every day for the last 15 years. It makes me happy everytime I set the table.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:38 PM

I have a set of Norataki China that my mother-in-law bought for us at an estate sale shortly after we were married. I have always used it for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner and anytime we have a big gathering for a meal. My kids grew up with it. What good it it to anyone if you never use it?