Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 09:20 PM

I've taken crochet hooks, needles and-gasp-pointy scissors in my carryon. My little rag quilt spring scissors. They never even blinked. Of course, I profile like a quilter rather than a terrorist, might have something to do with it!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 AM

I will be flying Continental next Monday and I want to do some embroidery. I just checked the Continental website today. They said no pointed scissors no matter how short the blades. So, I am going to buy some "little kid" paper scissors to take. They didn't say anything about nail clippers.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 AM
SEW

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I use nail clipped to clip yarn...
ditto!
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM

I take my crochet hook, a small pair of scissors and my embrodiery, thread, yarn. etc... with me.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM

one time I brougt a crochet hook & a small pair of scissors & they did not bother about it during security check. another time, I brought photos that I want to insert in albums, my hand carry got scrutinized. I think the photos did not x-ray well. To make my life easy, the next time I just travelled with origami papers & folded cranes for a project that I've been planning.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

Get a Kindle. So far I've not heard anyone say that couldn't take that on board.

Originally Posted by Ninepatchpatty
You can get a scissors from www.Jean Lyle safe for airline security clearance. It looks like a childs paper scissors but is very sharp.
It depends a lot who is doing the security check.

I recently had a very small bottle of hand sanitizer taken away.

Its a good idea to carry a padded mailing envelope with your name and address and postage just incase you forgot something in your carry on or purse. They will mail it for you..
Old 10-28-2011, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewellie
Get a Kindle. So far I've not heard anyone say that couldn't take that on board.

Originally Posted by Ninepatchpatty
You can get a scissors from www.Jean Lyle safe for airline security clearance. It looks like a childs paper scissors but is very sharp.
It depends a lot who is doing the security check.

I recently had a very small bottle of hand sanitizer taken away.

Its a good idea to carry a padded mailing envelope with your name and address and postage just incase you forgot something in your carry on or purse. They will mail it for you..
Odd you should mention that...When I traveled to New Zealand in February, they were more interested/suspicious in/of my netbook and Nook than my needles and travel scissors....go figure. lol
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 AM

Isn't it wonderful how well protected we feel when they can't even give a real set of rules on what we can and cannot take on a plane :)
Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by DixieLee
Isn't it wonderful how well protected we feel when they can't even give a real set of rules on what we can and cannot take on a plane :)
Tee-hee :D It does seem that there would be more clearly defined rules...I do know that as we traveled and went through security in New York, Los Angeles, 2 different airports in Australia, and 2 in New Zealand, they all seemed to put just a slightly different spin on things. Ah yes, keeps travel exciting and adventurous doesn't it?
Actually though, I do appreciate the work they do in trying to keep us all safe, even if it can get frustrating sometimes.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:40 AM

From a flight attendant...crochet hooks and knitting needles are okay. Scissors must be less than 4 1/2 cm (cutting blade, unless you are in Japan, then from the screw.) Blunt nose, children's scissors are best. Nail clippers are fine. For complete up-to-date travel advisories, go to tsa.gov. Safe travels! Have a great trip!