Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
I have been wondering if most people that quilt also do other types of sewing as well? I do a lot of different types of sewing as well as quilting and enjoy it all.
I make a lot of dresses for myself, and nightgowns, too.

Right now, on my sewing list are several pillowcases, shopping bags, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, maybe some cute things for my new grandbaby. But she's already got so much stuff that she'll only wear somethings once before she outgrows them
Old 10-28-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Have been sewing since I was 7. Had a treadle because my parents didn't think I could push hard enough to put the needle through my finger. Took sewing in junior high, but my father wouldn't allow me to continue in thigh school as it took class time away from chemistry and physics and calculus.

Made most of my clothes through high school, including all of my prom dresses. Have done curtains and drapes for four or five houses. Made my niece's wedding coat (lace, but she bought the sheath). Still love to make clothes for little people, but don't have all that many of them to spoil. Inherited two fabric collections. And associated notions, etc. Still have some od the stuff. But quilting is the addiction. Only one in the next generation sews at all, so I guess she'll get all of it.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:59 AM

I now do more quilting than sewing. When my GD was small I decided to take up sewing lessons to bring my skills up to date was I ever in for a wonderful surprise. I enjoyed and learned so much, made sewing friends, got interested in Martha Pullen, met her businesswise, became friends and attended her Pullen seminars each February for 8 happy happy years. What I learned from her classes you could not stuff into a freight car. Heirloom sewing is my passion so quilting and sewing are my substitues.
I am thinking of making an heirloom quilt, starting with the blank fabric so all the design work, embroidery, lace, whatever is in it will be all mine. There is one lace of Martha's I might use, the one with the crosses. It is beautiful and would be so appropriate. Her catalog is so full of beautiful items it is difficult to say no to yourself.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 AM

My primary love is quilting. Occasionally, I pick up quick sewing projects. Made mattresses, pillowcases, sheets and blankets for a granddaughters's american girl dolls. Fun and fast. Superman and batman capes for a grandson. And a Princess Leia costume a 3 mo. old. Back to my quilting now!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I love to sew craft items - pillows, pincushions, bags, etc. I also made my DIL wedding gown - it was so fun but I don't want to do that again! Since high school, I made almost all my clothes. When I was a young married, I made everything. Then when my boys were born, I made all their clothes until they were too old to sew for! I now make some things for my 3 grands. I just love the creative process of all of it. I also taught sewing at the County Extension Center at one time - that was very rewarding. And last summer, I taught my DIL and GD to sew. They are doing very well with it.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Me too
Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM

I sew just about anything. Made all my clothes for many years, although I can now find them ready-made as cheap or cheaper than I can make them. Also sew for my children and now grandchildren. I made Barbie clothes for several years, but American Girl doll clothes are now my "thing."
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM

My mother was a great seamstress and I took sewing in Jr High, so long ago!, got a Pfaff machine not long after children were born so I sewed lots when they were young, clothing, costumes, curtains and lots of adult clothes (for everyone in the family) made matching T-shirts for son & dh but the last few years not much until I got a new machine a plain little Janone, nothing like my Pfaff (sorry to say).

I agree about the price of patterns, outrageous!
Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I am making woolen mittens with recycled sweaters. They have been very popular here in Michigan at the craft shows in the last two years. I am also trying a hand at making postcards.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
In my teens and twenties I made most of my own clothes. These days I mostly quilt but will make simple garments from time to time. The days of sewing my own business suits are well and truly over.
Same here. I am currently doing all the stuff for my 1st grandchild's nursery. That is a pile by itself!