Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flannel quilt with wool batting >

Flannel quilt with wool batting

Flannel quilt with wool batting

Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

OH!!! that will be a wonderful, fluffy, cozy quilt!

the quilt on my bed is flannel with a wool batt.
I LOVE WOOL BATTS! they are lightweight, wonderful to stitch- and flannel with wool batting washes/drys up to such a wonderful soft, fluffy, cozy quilt! i wash mine probably a bit more often than it needs- just because i love pullin it out of the dryer- and hugging it!
it is my hubby's favorite quilt too....even over the mariners compass i made for him :)
Old 10-27-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by cherylynne
I just washed a flannel quilt and I am happy to say I experienced no shrinkage. I always use good quality flannel and quarter inch seams. I backed it with flannel and used flannel for binding. I have not had any problem with these quilts shrinking or puckering. I like the feeling of new, smooth, soft fabric in my quilts until I choose to wash them.
It would be nice to know the brand and price of the flannel you use. and where you purchase it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
One of the commonest symptoms of hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) is constantly feeling chilled.
Also (unfortunately) congestive heart failure. My FIL was always the warmest person in the room, but in the last few years required lap quilts and afghans. Was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 2 years ago.

I'm one that hasn't noticed much shrinking with flannels, but I purchase Moda flannels. Didn't like the quality of Joann flannels - they were still on the bolt and had already pilled!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

I made a flannel (top and back) quilt with wool batting for my hubby for exactly the same reason. I did prewash the flannel material. It went together easily and quilted easily. It keeps him warm and cozy, but it's sort of heavy.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Originally Posted by cherylynne
I just washed a flannel quilt and I am happy to say I experienced no shrinkage. I always use good quality flannel and quarter inch seams. I backed it with flannel and used flannel for binding. I have not had any problem with these quilts shrinking or puckering. I like the feeling of new, smooth, soft fabric in my quilts until I choose to wash them.
It would be nice to know the brand and price of the flannel you use. and where you purchase it.
I don't know the brand, but I believe it was $7.00-$8.00/yd two years ago. They were soft brown/peach florals. I wasn't retired and I didn't worry about the price too much then. Now I'm retired and it's a different story. I'll be working out of my stash this year. I saw flannel at LQS for $14.00/yd. this fall.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 PM

I personally would not use it if it were not one of the better brands, Moda, Hoffman etc. I would not buy an off brand on line, but that is my personal preference.
Originally Posted by totosmom
Originally Posted by Grandma58
I use QSQ flannel and never have a bit of problem with it, in fact I use it with regular cotton in the same quilt sometimes.

QSQ?

Dorothy

ETA: Oh yeah, quilt shop quality. I'm looking at this line from Thousands of Bolts but as always with online ordering, I'm just not sure of the quality.

http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/inde...oduct_ID=41933

D
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM

I have not had any issue using flannel...I just wash it first. I love flannel backings so warm.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 AM

Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always been told to increase the stitch length when working with flannel. In saying that I really don't know why...maybe because it stretches/ distorts when sewing?? I just bump mine up to 3.0 from 2.5.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:38 AM

If want a warm quilt get some "minkee" fabric. With flannel back it will be very warm.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Perhaps I am wrong, but I have always been told to increase the stitch length when working with flannel. In saying that I really don't know why...maybe because it stretches/ distorts when sewing?? I just bump mine up to 3.0 from 2.5.
Hmm, but if it stretches or distorts, wouldn't I want to stabilize it with a smaller stitch?

I think I see another post in my future.