Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-28-2011, 09:12 PM

My husband mother is relative to Pricess Diane
Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 PM

Not a lot to tell. My grandfather Erik Oscar Bernhard Wenstrom came from Sweden in 1899, changed his name o Eric Oscar Buren... neat thing is I went to Sweden in 1999..100 years to the month after he left Sweden...one of my dad's last wishes.."If you find my dad's family in Sweden, go there for me."....and I did.

My great grandfather Louis Hermes was one of the last of the Indian War fighters. Was written up in the Milwaukee paper. He was in Major Reno's company...so missed being at Little Big Horn...did work the clean up though..never would talk about it, per my dad.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 AM

well I did a bit of digging in my records so here goes again

my ggggreat grand father had a farm adjacent to George Washington, Martha washington distant relative, don't know how many "once removed", ggggreat grandfather rode at the age of 104 to his daughters house, he also fought in rev. war(at a younger age)

my other ggggreatgrand father was lost at sea. and possibly married a macy/ and another was married to a Starbuck, these descendenta moved to Guliford co,NC a quaker settlement. then moved on to Ohio/Iowa/Indiana.
this was my dads side of the family.

my moms is kind of cloudy, her family came from Ireland moved to SC my ggreat grand father was adopted, the ggreatgrand mother may have been part indian, no documentation on it.
Most of these folks were farmers

all I do know, these women were fantastic cooks and had children galore, not sure of offspring out of marriage, but they (after wifes passed) they remarried and had more children! wow so many to keep track of!! as for anything spectacular, nothing except of the two that married out of their faith and were "kicked out".
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM

My grandmother was a Rossetti from Italy. She was related to Dante Gabriel Rossetti, the artist. (Some of his art is in the Tate Gallery in London.) and his sister Christina Rossetti, who wrote poems, some set to music. Also my grandmother was a Countess...not sure what that is.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:38 PM

Civil War ancestor had his leg amputated on the kitchen table :(
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 PM

My grandparents were immigrants from Italy. My grandfather came over to work in the coal mines when he was sixteen. He came with a younger brother. Several years later they brought over their mother and sister. In 1921 my grandmother came over landed in Boston, took a train to Springfield, Illinois and married my grandfather 3 days later. She spoke not a word of English. She was a "mail" order bride. She was introducted to my grandfather by his sister in law by mail and they were married 2 years later when he sent her a ticket to come to the U.S. They were married 55 years when he passed away. My Nona was 98 when she passed....I was in my 30's. When I started having grandchildren I took for my name to my babies the name we called her. We all still miss her.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nona
My grandparents were immigrants from Italy. My grandfather came over to work in the coal mines when he was sixteen. He came with a younger brother. Several years later they brought over their mother and sister. In 1921 my grandmother came over landed in Boston, took a train to Springfield, Illinois and married my grandfather 3 days later. She spoke not a word of English. She was a "mail" order bride. She was introducted to my grandfather by his sister in law by mail and they were married 2 years later when he sent her a ticket to come to the U.S. They were married 55 years when he passed away. My Nona was 98 when she passed....I was in my 30's. When I started having grandchildren I took for my name to my babies the name we called her. We all still miss her.
My grandfather, from Italy, worked and then owned coal mines in Colorado.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Had a GG aunt who wrote the book on Mom's side, long list. Ancestor was a bishop in England at Westmenster way way back, maybe1100 century. Another was companion of Daniel Boone's, and was the father of the first "white" child born in TN - I think it was. A widow and widower met, one had 12 childern, the other had 13. They married and lived with all the children and a MIL and a child of theirs in a 2 or 3 room log cabin back in the 1700's. Another story tells of a girl kidnapped by Indians; two of her brothers looked for her for years. When they found her she was married to an Indian man and had children. I don't believe she came back "home" with her brothers. Both my paternal GM and GF were from same area in PA, and had same last name-not related that we know of. In more recent times: Geoffry Bean, the fashion designer was a 3 or 4th cousin. Alan Bean the astronaught(sp?) is a distant cousin. Had another cousin who was politing a helicopter with 7 Sercet Service men on board that crashed in the ocean; he dove through gas and flames and recued 6 of them. He suffered health problems for the rest of his life because he inhaled some of the gas. He was a lovely man.
DH GF drove one of the last cattle drives up the Chism trail; he later moved to Chicago and invested with the Olds brothers in race cars and the Indy 500 in the 20's or 30's.
As for me well my Mother always told me I was related to Jesse James...don't really believe this because my older sister wasn't related to him and we had the same parents.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:58 PM

Interesting threads, ladies u r creative not only quilters i will love to read and read but have no time for 22 pages put coming later
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Power Poster

When I left the house door open, my mom used to ask me if I was born in a barn - you'd think SHE would know...