Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Peanut Butter Prices Going Up >

Peanut Butter Prices Going Up

Peanut Butter Prices Going Up

Old 10-29-2011, 07:10 PM

I remember in the 70's there was a "toilet paper" shortage. One rumor and a mad dash to the store. Wasn't there once a shortage of sugar too?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Oh, geeze!!! The price of dog ownership just shot up! LOL My dog's nightly treat is a kong with peanut butter. She knows what time she gets it and starts telling us if we're late! I guess I'll have to cut back on something else!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM

Oh no! I love my peanut butter since I was a kid. Not so much peanut butter and jelly :) I have to make sure I put it on the grocery list, hubby does all the grocery shopping.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:28 PM

Awhile back there was also a big run on rice ( or so the story went). Everytime I passed that section in the store, not only were all varieties well-stocked but there was never a price increase either. So glad I didn't stock up, I mean, I had some but didn't overbuy.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by kerrytaylor
Awhile back there was also a big run on rice ( or so the story went). Everytime I passed that section in the store, not only were all varieties well-stocked but there was never a price increase either. So glad I didn't stock up, I mean, I had some but didn't overbuy.
We didn't owe China 4 Trillion dollars then either.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clsurz
Our economy has been in a mess for about 5 years now and it will get worst before it gets better.

I was talking with hubby just yesterday about prices of everything including food. I can remember 2 years ago buy groceries for us and it costing me about $150 and today for the same stuff it runs closer to $350 a 200% plus increase from two years ago.
Oh tell me about it I spend $300+ a week in the store and it is just my wife, son and I. And I go between Sams, Aldi's and Krogers each week and I save quite a bit by buying in bulk. And with me on these steroids it is really driving up the bill because I am craving proteins like Fish, Steak, Chicken and Shrimp Po'boys! (YUM)

I started the thread about the prices a while back and the other day I bought up 2 more cases of peanut butter (Kroger brand honey roasted) so that gives me 11 cases total of the real big jars in my pantry. That should hold me till the beginning of the next year when prices settle back again. My wife did read that Mississippi had a bumper crop of peanuts this year so hopefully that will bleed into the works and the prices will drop accordingly.

Billy
Old 10-30-2011, 06:57 AM

Buying some today, it's a staple in our house!
Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 PM

I do remember that. A man who lived about a mile from my Mother and Daddy bought all the toilet paper he could get his hands on. He had a whole bedroom packed full of the stuff.

Originally Posted by Cherylsea
Do you remember when this happened with toilet paper - think it started on Johnny Carson as a joke... until people actually started fighting over the "last" rolls of toilet paper!!!