Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May I Have Your Opinion Please. >

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM

We've had our smooth top range (Sears) for about 3 months and I really like it. Our oven heats just fine and the top is easy to keep clean. Just let it cool down before cleaning it. Once a week, I use the cleaner that came with, also a scrapper(has a razor blade in it) to get cooked on stuff off. However, we do wipe it down daily.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:54 PM

There is a glass top stove at my Dad's where I stay now to take care of him. Mind you this is an older glass top stove but I really don't like it because of the way the burners go on and off and once you cut them off it takes forever it seems for them to cool down. The broiler is slow sometimes and quick others so you really have to watch what you're doing or things will burn easily. This is why I got one with the coils for the burners at my home last year. I didn't want to chance any of my grandchildren getting burned if they accidentally touched the stove after I cut it off.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM

YUCK FOOOEY!!! Did not like my glass top stove/range/ whatever they are called these days. Could never get it back to being shiny clean. Always seemed to have a burnt look to it. Doesn't cool down like quickly like a regular elect top. Too many bells and whistles that can go bad. Mine went BOOOOM! and nearly set the house on fire. I'm using an old one I got for $75 that came from an apartment building.

Fridge. I've got an over and under 20 year old Kenmore that I bought on time from the Power company when they hah a store. Much better than these newer side by side things. You can store a weeks worth of groceries in the with no problems. Never had a minutes trouble out of it.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:03 PM

By brother has a flat top stove and had to go buy all new expensive pots and pans since they HAVE to be flat. He said he would NOT get another. And my friend got a fridge with the freezer on the bottom and loves hers. Hope you find what you like.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM

My son had a flat top stove and hates the oven can not even cook a frozen pizza right in it, he does them in a frying pan on top.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM

We went with the Whirlpool line when we bought the house I've got the matching four burner range top (flat top) and in 6 years we've had them not one problem. My DH bless is dear heart he's fine cooking outside on the grill but I try to avoid him in my kitchen, he has a tendency to boil water over or dry, lol So yes they clean up fine and if you get something that kind of sticks get the Vileda scrubbing pads it's got a smooth side and a rough side and they do not scratch the glass surface.

The fridge is great it's got lots of room and adjustable shelves that clean up really easy and it's got the freezer on the bottom. Now I shop and freeze lots of meats so for us I found the bottom might not have been as large as I wanted it to, but we've got a small deep freezer downstairs. Other than that no issues - we got ours from a furniture store not from Sears, and when we bought ours you paid regular price for the fridge but the range was 1/2 price, and the other thing with the oven is it cleans itself! Bonus, I can't be around strong chemicals helps this helps
Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM

I bought a Frigidaire glass top stove at Lowe's last year. It has a convection oven and 5 burners on top. I use the special cleaner for the top. My cooking pans were not completely level on the bottom so I had to buy some new ones, but I had had the old ones for decades. I LOVE THIS STOVE! It heats very, very fast. The oven is super large. The convection oven is super fast and browns evenly. I can't say enough about how great this stove is.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I love my fridge on top freezer on bottom (french).
I hate my glass top stove, you must be very careful it takes a long time to cool down.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:45 PM

I had a Whirlpool ceramic top stove and when we sold our house, I let the stove stay. I loved the stove. Only problem I had is that I was told that you can't use cast iron pans on it as you risk breaking the top because of the weight of the pans themselves and then once you have food in them they are extra heavy and you chance dropping the cast iron accidentally and breaking the top and to replace the top is just about the same price as buying a new stove. I personally didnt know about having to have flat bottomed pans. But all of my pans are flat bottomed...only because I just went and checked to see. LOL. When we move again I am going to get me another ceramic top stove and hopefully it will come with a bonus.....A MAID....oh and I did use that specail cleaner for glass tops. A little bit goes along ways and it was also a self cleaning oven bad thing about that though is it takes HOURS to clean.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 AM

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Today is the day!!I will ask all kinds of questions and I will cringe at the money going out for an appliance that would have snowed me under in fabric...lol
I must admit it will be nice to get my kitchen back in order though.....once again thank you!!