Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May I Have Your Opinion Please. >

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

May I Have Your Opinion Please.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 AM

I hated my stove when I first bought it (glass top), but now I'm ok with it. The only problem I had with it was keeping it clean. The cleaning supplies recommended were very costly. I finally found advice on the internet to use "Bar Keepers Friend". It looks abrasive but is not. Great stuff. You can cook anything on your stove but I threw out alll my pots and pans (copper bottom not recomended). But regular P & P are fine as long as they are flat. Another warning is pot lids. If you are boiling anything, do not remove the lid and set flat on the stovetop, you can shatter the whole thing. I place the lid a little on the raised edge of the top. Lastly, be very careful about spilling anything on the front edge of the top as it will slide between the oven doors which in my case are glass and ruin the look of the glass because you cannot clean inside the glass panels. PHEW is that enough warnings!! I'm not positive I would buy another one but it is easier to clean than a standard electric stove once you find the right product. Good luck
Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 AM

I use a counter-top induction unit at present and have an induction cook-top waiting to be installed, whenever DH gets around to doing our kitchen. Yes, you may need more amperage, but induction is more efficient and doesn't heat up the kitchen in summer. Also, nothing gets burnt on so clean-up is a breeze.

We bought the counter-top unit to test out induction and have rarely used our regular cook-top since we got it. We both love it and would never go back to anything else.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 AM

I have a ceramic top. Stove made in USA. One day when cooking the left rear top make a loud pop and cracking. I quickly
removed the sauce pan and with the sauce pan came part of the glass burner stuck to the bottom of the pan.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM

i dont like glass tops and if you do any pressure canning the high heat and the weight off the pressure canner can break the glass. i had one for a while and it was white and it discolourd so quickly i wasent happy with it and took it back and got a gas stove i realy like gas stoves.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM

It's only 4 years old and it quit? I would call the manufacturer and ask for the Office of the President, and then carry on until I got a replacement. They don't want bad publicity on your blog, do they??
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Default spelling

I had a flass top rhat the top looked kind of speckeled...kind of a chocoal color. It was great in that it cic not show smears after uou wiped it down. When it finally died last spring i got a new one with a shiney black surface. I fyou just wipe it dowm with a sponge it gets all smeary . The only way to keep it nice and shiney is to use the special cleaner/polis every time. Since that is a pain in the butt, it slaways looks smeary LOL

Excuse my spelling! I usually check before I send a message. I guess I should say excuse my typing

Last edited by katiebear1; 11-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:56 PM

When we did a kitchen remodel at our old home, we got a smooth top stove, because we thought it would be better, but if I get a chance to buy a new stove again, it won't be a smooth top, just my opinion. I don't know about pickling and canning on them, it should be okay, just don't let anything boil over on it. They recommend a special cleaning liquid for the smooth top.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM

I like the freezer on the bottom.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM

I have to agree with dd about the cast iron skillets. I did some research earlier this year because I had to purchase a new stove. I do can every year and my pressure cookers are huge and heavy. I was really worried about breakage on a glass top stove. Most manufacturers don't recommend canning on one due to heat build up (something to do with pot being bigger than the heating surface). Canning takes several hours on the stove and the heat does build up. I ended up with the coil burners again (gas not yet available out here in the sticks LOL). Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

Originally Posted by dd View Post
I bought an electric stove with regular coil burners because I like my cast iron skillets. I was afraid of dropping it one day and breaking that glass top. I specifically asked the salesman and he said yes they will break and cast iron is just the thing to do it. My thing is the ovens never heat evenly.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Have had glass tops for several years would never go back! I have a Samsung with 2 Quick heat burners. One is a small or large size quick heat depending on which way I turn the knob. I don't can or preserve now, but make lots of big pot stuff for the freezer. Works great!