Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-03-2011, 02:44 AM

Dont give up...i know it is frustrating. if there is a local quilt shop in your area, maybe you could bring your machine in,and ask for help? i am sure it is just a matter of moving your needle either to the left or right a few clicks. (even if you have the 1/4" foot..it doesn't mean you have a 1/4" seam.)
i so wish i could just gather us all together and help you...i was lucky,when i bought my machine, it came with free lessons, and i took a beginners class at joanns..learned how to press,cut,read a pattern and find my 1/4" for MY machine. so i missed some of the frustrating issues that come with being a beginner...
Old 11-03-2011, 03:23 AM

I know how you feel. I spent two years making blocks for a quilt and had the same problem with them fitting. I fudged the seam allowances and added some fake sashing (same color as background) and was able to get the quilt together. Since then, I purchased a 1/4 inch foot for all my machines and a seam gauge to test as I sew. Even with all that, I still have blocks that sometimes don't work correctly. Good luck on your quilt.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=NellLaCaze;4617510]
Originally Posted by carslo View Post
I bought a 1/4 inch foot for all of my machines - that has helped so much! They weren't expensive]
First- I brought a 1/4 foot for my machine and it was just a foot not shank and foot and had to pay $23.68 with tax. So where did you find one cheaper at.
Second- Was wondering why every I go to sew my needle keeps coming unthreaded. I leave a long enuff thread but it still comes untreaded.

The reason your needle comes unthreaded is because when you take your material out from under the needle, you pull it forward toward you instead of from the back, that makes a longer thread for the take up when starting a new piece,
at least this is what I found was my problem. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM

[QUOTE=tuesy;4617497]I have a 1/4" foot and mine would still be off... figured it wasn't the machine or the foot's problem, it was me.."gasp"! LOL I sew like I drive.. fast and furious and get there like yesterday... I just had to slow down a bit, but honestly I do feel myself having that "need for speed"[/QUOTE

my problem exactly! sigh, at 56 I doubt Ill outgrow it. . .
Old 11-03-2011, 03:48 AM
tmg

I am having the same problem. With a quilt I am working on now. Not fun!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:02 AM

Is the problem that you can't do the quarter inch or are the seams all different widths? The seams don't have to be a quarter of an inch as long as you keep them consistently the same size. So if you can get a good seam with a wider foot , I wouldn't sweat about it. Hope things get better when you get back to it.(Says she who is ripping out the quilting on her latest!)
Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 AM

Wow! That's happened to me to. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Like you I also have a wonderful healthy family. So I try again, and again. And then it happened I GOT IT ALL TO FIT PERFECTLY. Yeah I did it!! LOL And so I continue to sew my beautiful quilts...Have a nice day.....
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Sewing a quarter inch is VERY tricky!
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Red face

I was told by an experienced quilter, who had a grin on her face, that the final process of putting our blocks together can be called 'material manipulation'.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:33 AM

I use the 1/4" foot and these sewing edges. They're great and only about $5. http://shop.online-quilting.com/shop...&category_id=2 I don't depend on anything other than a ruler when I place these. Just measure 1/4" out from your needle and then lay down the strip. They're reusable and if they begin to slide around and not stay in place just clean them off with alcohol. Even with both of these I still have to "fudge" sometimes but that's all part of it. I sure do feel your pain.

Last edited by KimS; 11-03-2011 at 04:38 AM.