Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 AM

very early in my quilting career I would carefully measure each seam to make sure I had it right, only to find that I was using the wrong mark on the ruler (3/16) so the end result wasn't what it was meant to be
Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peppermint31 View Post
very early in my quilting career I would carefully measure each seam to make sure I had it right, only to find that I was using the wrong mark on the ruler (3/16) so the end result wasn't what it was meant to be
That would do it!

I was in a remedial math class at the local community college - one of the chapters was on measuring - I was stunned at how many people seemed to have been absent the day it was taught when they were younger!

We had questions like - which is bigger - 7/8 or 13/16 - and exercises on finding intervals on a measuring stick.

It's also interesting (sometimes entertaining) to eavesdrop at the measuring table in a fabric store.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 AM

This is something we all struggle with, one day this month i sumbled across this 1/4 inch foot. It is similar to the foot that came with my Babylock except for the bar. This foot is only .01 cents on amazon. I bought it as Brother and Babylocks feet are interchangable. I cant say enough good things about this foot. My seams are now very consistant.
I should add that the shipping was like 4.99.
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-1-4-In...0412554&sr=8-1
Old 11-04-2011, 05:22 AM

I was told by someone whose name is escaping me at the moment, that that happens when you you don't stop the machine with the needle in the full *up* position. If it isn't, when it starts up again it pulls the thread from the bottom instead of the top because there is less resistance. Hope that helps.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 AM

..Wishfulthinking, I think the worst problem was the coffee grounds in the coffee! LOL
I finally gave up on the 1/4" thing and put my attachment on the machine that has a little edge that sticks up for the edge of my fabric to run against. It helps me so far. I also place a straight pin to hold two seams together along the row and then just ease the fabric in between pins. BUT....when things are a bit "off" I don't care any more. When it is all done it looks great to me and I love it. Don't fret...quilting is too fun! LOL
Old 11-04-2011, 05:44 AM

the more I quilt it seems the the more these pieces don't fit..........When I started doing this (over 15 yrs), my first few tops were "perfectly matched"........now sometimes I have to tug or squish to get them to meet at the end of that seam. I have found though, thru this struggle, that when You cut the pieces, always use the same ruler to line up that rotary cutter...strange but each ruler may be a "hair" different. Also when machine sewing, and I gather the same is true with hand piecing, that thread takes up a nano fraction of that fabric, but multiplied by a bunch, can really cause things to "not line up" at the end. I have come to the conclusion that my 1/4" seam must be one thread short of that measurement to get a "perfect" match, and even then sometimes that does not work. So, just meet it as best you can and go on, and tell yourself "This is not the hill I want to die on"!!!!!!

As an aside......and you did not have to pack for this move...wow, lucky you------had to pack for a house move several years ago and had to pack all that "junk" up.....now that was more of a challenge than a few seams that don't match perfectly...........
Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 AM

I am working on a "mystery quilt", and the first instruction sheet clearly stated and was highlighted, that the strips sewn together (3 pieces) needed to be 8 1/2". My daughter-in-law is doing the same quilt. On both of our strips, they were only 8 1/4", even though the fabric was exactly the specified width. We both have Viking machines. She ripped hers out and resewed on her daughter's $100 machine, and it was perfect! I had to rip mine out and do scant 1/4" seams. So we wondered if it's something with the Viking machine versus other brands. Anybody know?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 AM

I haven't been on in awhile and boy did I get a shock on this forum..Thought I had posted guess I didn't I love learning new stuff.. You can probably Tweak your blocks..Which is give or take a little on each side at the points where each block meets..I did this with an ATTIC quilt..It works..you only rip out a little at the top or bottom or both top and bottom ..Hard to tell if it is off a little as long as your points meet. LOL!!! I am sending you a link of the attic quilt I made and believe me 75% of this quilt was tweaked... The Blocks should be 6 by 6 with 2 inch sashes..NOT!! in places but you cant tell unless you measure each block... Don't get discouraged..I have learned going SLOW when the 1/4 inch is important is the best way...Good Luck..I don't use the walking foot for this..Just make sure the foot is a 1/4 inch foot and go slowly..This is the Link... http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ed-t23156.html
Old 11-04-2011, 07:24 AM

I just finished my 3rd quilt. They have been 40x60...I can see how much better (not perfect but better) I've become since my first one. I now use the 1/4 foot which I thought, before, would just be a hassle. Good luck on your quilting.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:38 AM

How do you think those wonderful blocks like Disappearing 9 Patch and 4-to-9 Patch were figured out? I firmly believe someone had a bunch of blocks that didn't quite match up, so they cut the finished blocks again and came up with these creative blocks. If I had that many blocks completed, I would not rip them apart (but it is a hand project!), I would try to be creative in cutting them up to create something totally different. Of course, there is always starching and blocking each block. I'm so sorry this happened to you, especially at this time. It is frustrating to us everything this happens! (((((hugs)))))