Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quarter Inch Seam >

Quarter Inch Seam

Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Like the others here, 1/4" seams can sometimes be the pits. I also use a dam to have the fabric butt up against to keep the pieces from wobbling. (I use a whole pack of sticky notes aligned on the 1/4" seamline. It also helps if your machine is down inside the cabinet so that you have a flat floor to sew on. I tend to wobble when my machine is on a table without its flat table.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I love my 1/4 foot I only paid 16$ on line, bought one for my featherwieght and my brother.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 PM

Default Barrier guide

A couple of layers of masking tape will give you a good guide and go slowly -- it really doaes help.

Originally Posted by Val in IN View Post
Sorry you're having a bad day. The quarter inch thing is not an easy one to master. I found that the only way I could get consistancy of ANY kind was to measure the quarter inch from the needle to the correct spot on the plate, put down a barrier guide and do this on each of my machines. Still struggle with it at times, but it's better than it was.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:25 PM

So sorry you are having a bad day. I pray that tomorrow is better and that a wonderful "hand project" will come to mind. We all have these days. You are special and have turned in the right direction .... counting your blessings. As for those quarter inch seams - there has to be a sure-fire way to be consistent with them but I haven't found it yet.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 PM

I live in Ohio..went down to Amish country, not too far...and got a 1/4" foot for $5

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Well I have the 1/4 inch foot with the quide and still sometimes I find things aren't fitting together. I think if I agonize over it, the fun of doing the quilt in the first place is gone. Who but you will really know when things are a little off? Most people have no idea that it's not just perfect and wouldn't care if they knew. The warmth and love you put into it is the important part. Relax and have fun! This isn't suppose to drive you crazy.

I paid $35 for my foot and it's plastic. Viking feet are expensive so I try to pick ones I know I'll really use.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM

I definately understand our problem. Even with a one quarter inch foot I can't sew a straight stictch. Let me tell you how I solved my problem. It might not work for anyone else, but if you are making a pattern, or a style all your own add a three eigths of an inch seam allowance and when you are finished and before your press your seams to a side cut it down to one quarter inch. You have to do it with every seam in the quilt to keep its correct measurements. I had to do that with my storm at sea quilt, and it works. Like I said it might not for you.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:19 AM

I learned a long, long time ago.....the hard way. Resize all the blocks before you assemble them. Take the smallest and go by that measurement. I don't care how long I've been quilting (about 23 years now), I still get blocks that end up larger or smaller than they should on occasion, the only answer is to iron/starch/resize all blocks before assembling.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I feel your pain. That seems to be so hard for me to master. I'm working on it. Maybe someday I'll get better. Have a better day tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:12 AM

There is a video on U Tube about getting the squares to square up. Can not remember the name of the woman, but
you should be able to find it. Your can use a lot of starch and steam to block a square, even to make it smaller.