Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays? >

Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays?

Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays?

Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I only do what I can physically, emotionally, and financially. I learned this lesson many years ago.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:24 PM

Excellant advice QuiltnNan. Broken down, burned out and broke doesn't work for a soul!
Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 PM

I just can't let go of traditions, for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I deck the house inside and out, I shop for gifts 2 weeks before, so I can really enjoy it. I bake,bake bake. this year tho I have lots of wedding cookies in the freezer from my DD wedding ( I baked over a thousand cookies).I will pull those out, the ones that look to wedding ish I won't use. The family comes on Christmas Eve for a feast and then we do it all over again on Christmas day. I pull out all the fine china and silver for all holidays. I don't skimp on anything! There better be lots of Snow, since we are skiers we head to the slopes.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:53 PM

We've got a lot of ours already done, over the past month each week we pick up a couple of presents. We've both had big purchases that is being included as part of our presents to each other. I'm more freaking out because we've both been sickthe past 2 weeks so I haven't gotten nearly as much quilting done as I had hoped. So I'm more freaking out because of that, I'm doing more price comparison shopping this year and trying not to put a lot on credit cards this year.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Since my Mom passed away in 1988, my family comes to my house for Thanksgiving. I sometimes get down in the dumps about the holidays because of all the work, but then I think about my Dad (76) and my maternal Grandmother(90). We never know what tomorrow might bring and so I try to get the family together as much as possible. I usually don't have as many people come for Christmas because the weather keeps some from traveling. But let me say that 1 Thanksgiving and 1 Christmas my husband and I went to Vegas. I just couldn't deal with everyone coming to my house and all the work. Sometimes I just have to take care of myself.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM

I am not doing anything this year for Turkey Day or for Christmas. I plan on staying home and sewing. No ifs ands or buts about it. Getting tired of the running and everybody spending money they don't have. I have all I need and then some. As long as I have favric to sew with and thread and pay my electric bill and have some food in the freezer I am good.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:08 PM

DH and I decided before we ever had kids ,that it would always be plain and simple and within our budget.If we have x amount; whatever it is, it's divided between the 4 and that's what we spend, no more and no credit cards or loans ever.We are never in debt and paying off credit cards or loans the next year So I never stressed over that part ,but what to get everyone else ,what to cook for turkey day and CHRISTmas and so on was always very taxing. A couple of years ago , I decided enough, was enough. I simplified everything, each year I figure out what I want to make and I take the same exact same thing to every get together, makes the grocery list , short & sweet.( I have three, since my parents divorce.) And my family and his decided not to exchange gifts for CHRISTmas, there were too many that struggled just to buy their immediate family gifts. Everyone was relieved not to have to struggle beyond their means just to carry on a tradition.Best decision we every made, we truly enjoy the holidays without all the stress. Remember to Cherish Yesterday, Celebrate Today and Dream tomorrow, turn off those phones and put aside those difference and show the love.

Last edited by amazon; 11-18-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:16 PM

I used to go all out and decorate the whole house, have everyone over when the kids were young.We also moved away from family , but the "kids" are all here. Now, at 60...I've really slowed down and I don't have to have everything perfect . I still put up tree's, X-Mas village, big train around and we usually put lights on the outside of house. Believe it or not, it's not as much as we used to do. BUT, I have a 5 year old grandson who loves all the stuff.We have cut down on expensive gifts, try not to spend as much.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:21 PM

Not freaking out, but am a bit concerned that I may not get everything done I was hoping to do. It's not really a problem if some of it doesn't get done, I just want to accomplish it. So, we'll see what happens. There's only so much one person can do. Life's to short to stress yourself out and not enjoy the holidays.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM

I enjoy the holidays, I never go into debt, stay within my means and the kids are scattered so I purchase some things to ship to DGC's and parents receive gift cards. I know, not every exciting but they look forward to getting them to use for those items that are considered "treats".

Wishing everyone on the board a wonderful, joyous and memorable holiday season!