Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM

All I can think of is the vast number of people that quilt - those attorney's would be one busy bunch of people trying to look at every quilt to see if there's an infringement on policy.

My BIL is an attorney I asked him about it tonight and he said unless the company sends a legal notice with each bolt of fabric to the buyer, stating that they have a copyright and need to be notified if someone is going to display it in a show; there really can't say anything. He said about the only time you might get into the gray zone is if you win a large sum of cash you would probably need to notify the manufacturer.

He said that there are a lot of old laws on books out there that have never been amended or updated in years! He said they would have a hard time of them trying to get a judge to hear it in court as they're already overloaded with nonsense
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.
This I totally will do!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM

I think store owners should be made aware so that they don't get stuck with a lot of fabric no one wants to buy and I agree if that's the case why bother buying their fabric. It's crazy if a friend likes what you made and asks you to make them one you can't do that. Oh well just be careful buying thanks for letting us know. Sue
Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom View Post
When I'l buying fabric for my craft show...I generally will pay attention to this wording on the selvage...I have put back several very cute fabrics this year....BUT...I think some designers have taken this a bit far.

I purchased some Brown and White dotted fabric last week...and it also says "not for commercial use"...excuse me....these are standard little white circles on a solid brown fabric....no designs...nothing... No, I didn't see the wording before purchase, but wasn't looking for it on a basic material...it wasn't even a named designer.

I have cut this fabric up and used it, and I sold everything that I had with that fabric in it, this weekend...

I'm sorry, but, I call the line at trademarking something like that...and I will NOT honor the "not for Commercial use" on something that is a nomal, everyday pattern.
POLKA DOTS??? really...I agree..ENOUGH of the greed...that is sad and ridiculous!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:24 PM

I don't think legally it will stand up. It is the same as paints for a painter.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Amy Butler, for one, is removing the restriction from all her fabrics in future printings. She mentions it in the FAQ on her website, along with being very clear in saying you can use her fabrics to make projects to sell or in the manufacturing of finished goods.
http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/faqs/
Thanks for posting this, as Amy Butler was the first designer that I became aware of that was putting this statement on her fabrics. I am unsure, though, if she was the first. That being said, her FAQS distill the issue pretty well. If a crafter, manufacturer is using the Amy Butler NAME (or any designer's name/logo) to bring attention to the product, market the product, etc then that would be a violation. As a previous poster stated, my impression of those statements are against mass producers of products bearing their designs that are using the names, images, etc to drive and increase sales. JMO.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:42 AM

I agree 100 %
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 AM

I agree. I won't be spending my money on their fabric. Like my Daddy says, "they are cutting off their nose to spite their face"
Robin in TX
Old 11-22-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sewhappytoquilt View Post
Well, here's a quick fix - stop buying licensed fabrics. Do they want folks to use their fabrics or not?
I totally agree. I'll use what I have but unless it is for the grandkids, I will be passing up a lot of the "not for commercial use" fabrics.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
how exactly are you going to not buy that fabric if you are an online shopper? you can't see the selvedges to know if there is a warning or not!

Guess I will have to put a note in remarks about the selvedge marking when purchasing online!