Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM

That kind of policing of copyright laws is carrying an originally good thing far past the point of ridiculous!
What kind of designer does this? And why would anyone think they can have a say in how the consumer uses their fabric? Shouldn't they feel honored that we like their fabric enough to buy and use it?
I'm with you all - boycotting these fabrics and letting the shop owner know why you are doing it would send a clear message. It's not like there isn't so much other wonderful fabric out there to choose from that we could never fit it all in our homes.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:56 AM

Honestly, with those fabrics, you aren't going to have any problem if you sold a few at a local craft sale. It's listing them on Etsy or Ebay that will make a problem. I often make 3 of an item to get it just right. Then I sell the other 2 noting the imperfections. That's still a personal use, not commercial use.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maggimae View Post
You are so right! Where does the insanity end????????????
17 pages and going strong so I'm guessing not anytime soon.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 AM

Here are my two cents.

A design is consider Intellectual property. That is the reason the designer is paid for the idea. The design unless they sell it or give it away remains their's.

IP law is very
expense to prosecute and takes a lot of time. Most copyrights and patents are only valid in one country. The designers rely heavy on people doing the right thing. Some items are not copyrightable and some patterns of fabric would not hold up. (For example, a geometric design where the designer would have to "prove" if the case went to court that the pattern was their orginial idea) Sometimes such statements are added as a matter of course and the copyright work has not been done. Cease and desist letters are the first step in prosecution and for many companies the only course of action necessary.

I agree the right step for us all to take is to make sure that the stores we purchase from know we want the freedom to do what we want with the fabric we purchase. I also agree that we should write the manufacturers as well. Voting with our pocketbooks will make a difference.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM

I have made quilts for myself or to show with no intent of selling them. Then, someone offers to buy the quilt and we agree on a price. That could be a problem now, if I used any of those fabrics!
Kathy
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM

wow It isnt fun any more lol first $12.95 fabric and now they want to tell you how to use it.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM

Right on!! Boycott is good. No fabrics that say
"for commercial use only"
I won't forget!
It adds to the price and also limits the uses for the purchaser. We don't need higher prices.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:04 PM

My opinion is that they don't really care if you buy their fabric. Someone else will buy it. It's an attitude that they have.
Why do they put that phrase if they really want to make a profit?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
In addition to not buying the fabric, let the store owners know you are NOT buying that fabric, and WHY.
That is a good idea.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:19 PM

This is a touchy one for me from 2 points- 1- as a sewer who may happen to use a piece and not realize it.
2- as an artist who has had designs copied and someone else taking rights to them. My grandfather was an inventor who had pattens stolen from him by simple drawing changes like by only flipping the layout on the drawing and resubmitting it and the patten then given to the scoundral who did it. Isaac Singer was notorious for such underhanded tricks.
Really the issue is not applicable to the crafter it's to the retailer who may be using this material in commerial production for which the designer must be notified and compensated-just like music is copyrighted and rights have to honored. With the theft of original work and cheap reproductions this is no surprise nor is it new, just simply has finally hit the salvage markings- it's nothing to sweat over.