Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement >

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

if you make quilts/items to sell- a new developement

Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 AM

It just might start a new trend in wholecloth quilts or plain colours with elaborate other embellishing. That is unless people try to make money out of copyright for them as well. After all, Durham Quilts have been around for a few hundred years and a lot of modern quilters are putting their own names onto designs and crafts that were traditionally English.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 AM

I think they put that on there but really do not enforce it unless it is blatantly obvious. Could you imagine a crump or scrap quilt with their fabric in a 1/2 x 1/2 square on it. Go ahead and prove it was your fabric that was used. LOL, I would just boycott them for their arrogance any ole ways!
Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 AM

Default link to information re copyrights

The person who provided the information for the link below is cautious to declare that she's not a lawyer but she has attempted to digest some information she found regarding copyrighted fabrics and patterns as well. She provides the links from which she formed her opinions. I think overall what she's saying is that the use of copyrighted fabric for items to be sold is if-fy but seems to be defended. In one instance, the copyright holder simply agreed to be credited on a tag attached to the item. Regarding the use of patterns to make an item to be sold, it appears that you really should get permission from the pattern creator.

http://www.quiltingbusiness.com/quilting-copyright.htm
Old 11-24-2011, 11:42 AM

What is the difference in us purchasing a bit of fabric to create with, then sell said creation and the person that buys a large chunk or bolt of fabric and re-sells it (starting price) at double or more the retail price? I know of at least one seller that is selling a NEW fabric, not OOP, at almost double the retail price. At least my item has some effort put into it other than cutting it.
There is another scenario which I have seen that I would absolutely side with the designer on. There is another seller that is copying one picture/item of the original fabric and enlarging it and selling such as a quilt block, or fabric block. I do not know that the fabrics being copied are protected, and I certainly don't know if she has an agreement with the manufacturers. Without certain knowledge of any agreements between her and the manufacturers, I'm not saying she IS doing anything wrong, I'm just saying that if she doesn't have an agreement, I would see that as a violation, IMHO.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:41 PM

Didn't I just read a post on here de-bunking this as a myth? Or did I read it on one of my other boards? Anyway- the license is from the owner of the design to allow the fabric company to print it ( ie they have nor just drawn their own picture of Mickey Mouse or John Deere or whatever) There is case law out there addressing the ridiculousness of deeming any license to exist with the end user.

But I bet we'll have pages of more responses just taking this at face value. One of the things that irritates me greatly about this board. All transmission, no reception!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:58 PM

All of this sounds ridiculous, how can designers have a control on where their fabric ends up, like ptquilts said try tracing a fat quarter.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:05 PM

i agree im not gonna buy any of there fabric . i think after i buy fabric it should be mine to do as i please with.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 PM

I'll stay my distance from buying any of it - I don't need hassles and problems to mess up my joy of quilting - there are so many pretty fabrics out there - and if bad gets to worse - use my stash till it is gone - or almost depleted anyway - and then cross the bridge when I get to it - but that would be years!!! I have a lot of stash!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 PM

The owner of a licensed college/professional t-shirt has the right to do what they want with that t-shirt. If they choose to have a quilter include it in a t-shirt quilt, it should legal. The quilter is only profiting from their assembly of the quilt. Wonder how many cars would sell if we were restricted from selling them at a later date.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

What Greeheron said!