Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Unused attachments and features of sewing machines >

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Unused attachments and features of sewing machines

Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM

[QUOTE=bearisgray;4720810]How many of you have presser feet/attachments and features that came with your machine that you have never used?

I am lucky and have a Viking dealer who has classes and they will occasionally include presser feet that would go on my D1 and of course I had to take the class, so I have a lot of them, some that I haven't used since!! Since I have taken to quilting rather then the embroidery I am not making as many cloths and home decor that would use some of them. They are a great dealer.

Last edited by Poko's friend; 11-26-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 AM

I think attachments are fascinating, especially the ones for vintage machines. My everyday sewing machine is a Viking 130 from the 1950's. It came to me with only the zigzag foot. Last summer I found an original attachment box at a garage sale, and it is wonderful. I also like to find attachments for my FW and 301 and try them out. Those old attachments are a link to the past and make me feel connected to my grandmothers.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:00 AM

I have a Janome that is about 10 but it has alot of attatchments that I have no idea what they even are. Reading these makes me want to get them out along with the manual and just play around with the ones I don't know. Never know, might find something I like. I've never done clothes before so I'm sure some of them are out of my league but hey, don't know until ya try.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 AM

I also have feet I've never used. What bothers me the most is all the stitches on my machine I've never used.
It seems the manufacturers put a lot of stitches on a machine that doesn't get used.
I've often wondered why? Just to up the cost?
Sewing machines should be more 'generalized', only having stitches, etc. for more specific sewing needs.
I guess its easier to put everything on a machine, so whoever buys the machne its versatile to all types of sewing. (?)
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 AM

I have a plastic box of bobins from all the machines I have owned and sent all the old attachments that I had to the Goodwill. Just trying to get rid of things that I don't really need or use anymore.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:23 AM

I recently purchased a used Bernina 180 Artista. I just love it and my husband bought a book to go with it. I am having problems with the quick reverse button, the "F" and the end pattern on the front of the machine. Does anyone know if there is a way to reset these?
As far as the ruffler foot, I have used mine and not sure if I used it correctly but it does make easy work of pillow ruffles. Resently I saw sewing with Nancy and her guest was showing how to use a ruffler. I plan on going back and trying it again to see if what I saw was the same way I used it.

As far as feet go, I went to a quilt show and they were selling all sorts of feet and I made myself go home and start using the ones I have. The best one was the hemmer foot and I have not done a hem by hand since, being 4'11" I do have to hem everything I buy. Best of luck with you feet.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I used my ruffler extensively when making kitchen curtains and cushions for my dining room chairs. It's great. Like so many attachments, you often find you aren't making anything that calls for them -- so you rarely if ever use them. Depends on what kind of sewing your do. For quilters, we don't need alot of fancy feet!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:52 AM

I had my machine (Bernina) for 30 years when just last year I discovered that the darning foot with the feed dog down does free motion quilting. Wish the distance between the needle and the right side of the machine was wider to accomodate larger quilts.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:12 PM

I sewed for years before I went to work for a Bernina dealer and then I was really hooked. They did custom dressmaking and alterations to make ends meet bewteen machine sales. I was able to purchase my first Bernina from them a 1260. I learned how to do any kind of mending and alterations while working there. Over the years I collected dozens of special feet for it and learned how to use them all. I made two flowergirl and one junior bridesmaid dress for my daughter's wedding and have made some baby clothes over the years for my step-children's children. If my daughter ever gets around to having a child I will do a lot of sewing for it just because I can. I am currently making dozens of the little pillowcase style dresses for little girls in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. If I can't find a garment I particularly want for myself I have been known to make those also. When my 1260 died I was able to trade in my specialty feet for ones that would fit my newer machine. I actually got more for them than I did the machine.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM
IQ2

I'm taking a class now at my LQS called "Stitcher's Garden". It's a BOM class, and each class features a different foot to learn. It's so wonderful. I'm finally learning to use my machine for more than just seams. This is a very popular class at the quilt shops (probably because they get to sell lots of feet!). Also ASK.com will enable you to find videos on how to use just about every foot. Jump in there--it's a lot of fun!