Chipmunk in the house!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 AM

When I was a kid, we lived just on the outskirts of Bend, OR. The screen on my mom's window had a hole in it, and the cat came and went out of the hole. He drug in birds, mice, chipmunks.. But when he brought in a garter snake, the window was permanently closed!!! That cat did keep us on our toes!! Amusing story, though, I am sure you had heart failure several times!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 AM

This really made me laugh and brought back some wonderful memories of my dog, Raggs, who passed away a couple years ago from cancer. We were winter camping and there were lots of Kangaroo Rats in the area. During the night a mouse crawled up the wheel and got into the rig. The cats had been keeping us up at night watching the Kangaroo Rats so I didn't think to much about them running around the bed during the night & reach around all the edges and waking us up several times during the night. Just got frustrated with them. The next evening we are sitting playing a game of dominoes and all of a sudden our younger cat, Moe Kee makes a leap onto the bed & I notice he has something in his mouth. "Moe, what do you have, come show me." He jumps off the bed and brings me his treasure - a fat mouse. I thank him & then the mouse moves - oops it's still alive. I try to help him catch the mouse again but it gets in the corner of the kitchen & runs behind the water dish. Now I have more help than I want, both cats & the dog are helping. Mouse gets away and runs into the heater vent because we all got in each others way trying to catch the mouse again. The next 4 hours are spent with Moe Kee watching one vent in the bathroom, Sandy kitty watching the vent in the livingroom and Raggs dog watching everyone & the corner of our bed just beside the bathroom door. My husband goes to bed & I decide to use the bathroom before retiring. Both kitties come in the bathroom to continue to guard the bathroom vent & leave Raggs in the main living area next to the vent out there. Suddenly I hear this loud thud, bang & I think my husband fell out of bed or something. I run out of the bathroom to check on him & here is Raggs with something in his mouth. Raggs, drop, give it to me. He crunches down & then drops the dead mouse at my feet. I take the mouse & put it in the liter bucket with the tight sealing lid and give everyone a can of tuna as a thank you and reward. Raggs is really proud of himself for catching the mouse - he thudded against the bathroom wall & door catching the mouse - thus all the noise - I woke my husband checking on him. For the rest of our winter travels, Moe periodically checks around the bed for "his mouse" and than goes over and cuffs Raggs on the head, hollers at him & pops him on the butt with his paw. He was mad that Raggs killed his mouse & he was miffed the rest of the winter. Raggs eventually brought Moe a peace offering in the summer when we were back at our permanent residence - he caught a live mouse in the yard and gave it to Moe in the house in the playroom. Moe chased the mouse for 3 days before I caught it and released it back outside. Animals are so funny.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Definition of STUPID: a mouse who comes into a house that has 4 cats!

Our current count is three mice, four bats, and two chipmunks. Called Batman (company name) so no more owls, hopefully. Caulked everywhere in garage so no more chipmunks coming thru access door into the kitchen. As for the mice... they're still stupid!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Dkm

I loved your story. It gave me a good laugh, because this spring we were trying to chase them out of the yard(way to many of them). They are cute though.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

That sure was a funny story. Hubby heard me laughing and just had to come ask, so I read it to him. Since I saw it all in my head, when he asked me, what did the chipmunk look like? I said, "I'm not exactly sure, but it sounds like my crazy uncle Martin!" :oops:
Guess he got away from the nursing home again. :lol:
Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Yes - both of you told the stories so well that I could see them in my head. Mice are stupid, but so are cats to let them go. The dog was the smartest one in both stories. He didn't let the rodent run up HIS wife's back!

Stop throwing things at me!! You know what I mean!!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Oh my word! That is a GREAT story!!! I'm having a hard time seeing what I'm typing cuz the tears are still streaming down my face from laughing! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

Awww....tooo funny! So sorry that happened to you, but what a great story to tell! And you tell it so well!!! I've got the laughing tears...not at you of course, but with you....I have 4 cats in the house and had a mouse "episode" night before last... Hope all your chipmunks stay where they were intended to stay....OUTSIDE!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM

As awful as this probably was for you at the time it was happening, at least now you have story-telling rights! I guess we forget that our little furry feline friends are still about half wild. My buddy Bart leaves me little piles of bird guts at the the front door, and once in a while brings in a lizard from the garage, which we usually find in 2 parts--tail and lizard. Once he killed a baby possum in the garage; I have no idea how it got there. And he's so proud of himself each time!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:40 AM
Banned

Oh my gosh I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. :lol: