Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days? >

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Is anyone else disappointed with Quilter's Newsletter Magazine these days?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 AM

I canceled my 12 year subscription to QNL last year because they started letting company owners or salespeople write "quilting" articles. When I read John Flynn's article about how we quilters should be thankful to the vendors at quilt shows for all the work they do to come to the show and allow us to purchase their wares, I thought, then why don't they give their merchandise away? That article however, was topped by his article (in a quilting magazine) about FISHING!
Also the woman who writes the article about Long Arm Quilting Machines seems to mention the Statler System in every article. Wonder who she works for?
When I attended the April Quilt Festival in Rosemont, IL, there was a booth hawking subscriptions to QNL and when I was asked if I wanted a subscription, I said "NO" and before I could finish, the clerk said, "Oh, another quilter who dislikes the new format." Perhaps QNL will return to their original format that made it the best selling magazine in the quilting world. We can only hope!
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 AM

I've been trying to think of another magazine I like and thanks to a poster, my memory is refreshed. It's Quiltmaker. They have had in the past a lot of patterns I have used. Haven't bought any recently. I've got quilt magazines everywhere. My mother subscribed for years and I inherited them and then started my own subs but no longer take any of them. No space.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:27 AM

I get Quick Quilts, Quilt, (my 2 favorites), Quilter's Newsletter, McCall's, Better Homes & Garden one, Quilter's Home (I hate it) & Fons & Porter. I think that is all, may be one more. It seems one month they are good & next they have just junk. I always put post it tabs on ones I like & put them in a file crate basket for future reference. I'm like some of the other ladies I inherited all my mom's books, magazines & stash. She also cross stitched so I have all those magazines & books. Some of the old magazines are like now some have good stuff one month & junk the next. Guess we can't win for losing. I'm not going to renew some of them & will just get off news stand so I can get what I want & not waste my money.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:54 AM

I have also been disappointed with the quilting mags! But I am also disappointed in ALL the magazines lately! $5.00 subscriptions to a bunch of them last year. Every month they all had the same articles. I'm 60 years old and they are all geared to 2 generations younger than me! No offence to any one...I was young too. Woman's day, Family Circle, LHJ, Good houskeeping, Redbook, Organic something, Body and soul Several of Martha's mags. AND the amount of advertising is unreal! Why should we have to pay for any magazines........Sorry that was quite a soap box!
I am not a very active member....mostly read and look at the pictures! I love this site. I have several more places but this one is the easiest to navigate. Thanks for listening
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 AM

I know what you mean. The 1st think I do is tear out all the card things so I can read the mag. My favorite is Cusine because they have no ads anywhere. Cooks Illustrated & Cooks Country don't either. I would love a mag with less ads. I also hate all those ladies mags that advertise sex articles. My little grandmother would turn over in her grave if she saw what is in them now. My daughter had an issue of Cosmo & I couldn't believe what was written in there. I'm not that old either but I was shocked. I guess when enough of us don't renew they might get the point.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Bev

This is an interesting thread. I stopped my sub. to QN about a year ago. I realized there wasn't a thing in it that I was interested in any longer. That was the first of my subscriptions to go. Next was McCall's. The problem with them was the same as what a lot of you mentioned, the fabrics they used weren't what I had in my stash and the quilts don't look quite as good without them. I'll be darned if I'm going to go out and buy more fabric when I have a studio filled with it. Aniother thing is that I have back issues (all in order) of so many magazines. I always put a sticky note at the top of the page when I want to use a particular pattern. When I looked at all the sticky notes sticking out of all those magazines I knew that I couldn't possibly live long enough to make all of those things. Nor to use up my entire stash. So, as each of my subscriptions expire, and I have quite a few, they will not be renewed. That's one of my contributions to my DH's economy toot. And yes, I purchased the first two issues of Mark Lipinski's magazine. I found it a little too flip and smart alecky for my taste. I have a good sense of humor, but his stuff left me flat. So no more of them, either. I DO like his fabrics though.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Our quilt guild resells the magazines for .25 each and I have taken several sacks full to them! We live in a micro apt and I just don't have room for any thing else. I scan the patterns that I like and then share the mags with quilting friends or the guild.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM

Thanks JudithB, scanning is a good organizational plan, great idea!!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 AM

You can also download to a flashdrive which would really save space as I have 3 - 4inch binders full of quilt patterns. I'm running out of room. I need to down load all my machine embroidery patterns to one as Ms Computer is getting full also.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 AM

In Tucson, a used book store called Bookman's pays you for some books & magazines and resells them. QNM is one of them. I save mine, so I don't know how much they buy them for, but others in Tucson who want to find OLD issues can look there.

Saving to a portable hard drive is a great idea. I use binders now - but I have a lot of them. I'll never use all those ideas in my lifetime, but I keep saving them anyway!