Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Oh, you'll know if they need oiled when you go to use them and they sound funny.
Miriam I do not plan on using the ones that from the 1800's. I do keep them covered but want to keep up with the matinence on them. I just do notknow how often to do it. Kathie[/QUOTE]

Don't know the correct answer, or if there really is a correct answer, but I say once a year. I'm chuckling to myself thinking of the machines that I rescued from years of benign neglect from previous owners. After giving them a good cleaning, they all sew beautifully. I'm sure if they miss a year of getting a tune up and oil, they will still be good to go after a quick dusting and oiling.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Go check sew-classic - Jenny is VERY helpful and has all kinds of parts and such.
Thanks ever so much miriam. I'll do that.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Testing the FM quilting with the Davis NVF.
That turned out so nice! I am so fascinated by how this machine sews without the feed dogs that I'm sure I'm not unlike most if not all of us here on the VSM shop and REALLY WANT ONE!!
Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste View Post
That turned out so nice! I am so fascinated by how this machine sews without the feed dogs that I'm sure I'm not unlike most if not all of us here on the VSM shop and REALLY WANT ONE!!
Thanks! If you find one for sale, BUY IT! They are fun machines with cool mechanics. I'm amazed at what can be done and how well they sew through layers of fabrics. I find myself wanting to share my sewing projects from this machine and other vintage machines with folks here. They, Davis VF, need to be rescued and used- along with other fantastic vintage ladies and gents.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
Ronnie, I have 6 black featherweights and they all have Singer on the top of them. I also have 4 white with the green tint to them and I don't believe the story about making them for the Native Americans Most where made in Scotland and there is also a tan one, the tan ones are rare, the other 2 colors are abundantly for sale on ebay, check them out.
I hope this helps.

Thank you, ValleyquilterMo,

I was thinking the same thing. I've read all the things you posted and couldn't figure out what she was talking about. No matter what, I love them both!!

Thanks again!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I posted the on Miriam's thread the pics and how to's of the needle clamp assembly on the 319. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t162425-3.html
Thank you very much. I think by the time that machine runs we will have a pretty good tutorial on it. I have some info on the needle and timing to post on there when I get a day to work on it.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I posted the on Miriam's thread the pics and how to's of the needle clamp assembly on the 319. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t162425-3.html
Thank you Candace!

Now, I hope I don't have to go there with my 319w, but I am glad to have the resource if I do! By the way, I am using my 319w in the treadle daily now! It is my go to machine for piecing or doing a quick project!

Nancy
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM

Good morning everyone. Just wanted to post this. It has been relisted. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:WNARL:US:1123
Old 12-09-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S. View Post
Oh, you'll know if they need oiled when you go to use them and they sound funny.
Miriam I do not plan on using the ones that from the 1800's. I do keep them covered but want to keep up with the matinence on them. I just do notknow how often to do it. Kathie[/QUOTE]

Kathie, the very old (1800's) machines do better if they are used occasionally! I just got out my 1898 Model 28 yesterday for my 3 year old grandson to play with. He wanted to sew because I was sewing, but I didn't want him to use an electric machine and he is too short for the treadle - so he hand cranked the 1898! That machine was making a terrible stitch at first - until we kept oiling her and running her! Those old gals do better if they are used once in a while - when I first got that machine I oiled and cleaned her up - made sure she was stitching nicely, but I didn't really use her! That was over a year ago. When you actually use the old machines, it really frees things up!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 12-09-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:04 AM

Monica, I just now saw what you did with your Davis I will have to give it a try. Yours looks very nice, good work.