Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt >

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt

Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I hand quilted my very first quilt...a queen sized Turning Twenty quilt. I did a diagonal cross hatch and then did "fancy" designs in some of the larger blocks. Took me a year and looks horrible...but it was my first. I found that I love to hand quilt, but I get soooo hot! Now I machine quilt on my regular Bernina...oversize queen and down...I haven't made anything larger than that. I've never sent one out. I'd miss the fun of quilting it. I'm getting better....need lots more quilts to practice on though.
I have several tops I could send you to quilt :roll:
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I hand quilted my very first quilt...a queen sized Turning Twenty quilt. I did a diagonal cross hatch and then did "fancy" designs in some of the larger blocks. Took me a year and looks horrible...but it was my first. I found that I love to hand quilt, but I get soooo hot! Now I machine quilt on my regular Bernina...oversize queen and down...I haven't made anything larger than that. I've never sent one out. I'd miss the fun of quilting it. I'm getting better....need lots more quilts to practice on though.
'

Sandpat, let us judge for ourselves. I'd bet that quilt is great. You're just tired looking at it. :roll: That name Turning Twenty comes up every once in a while. Is there a pattern? or is it a technique? Come on, lets see a picture so we can tell you how well you did. :wink:
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by needlehappy
Like gramqlts I to am a stab quilter. Most of my quilting is done by hand, but I don't follow the rules of doing tiny little stitches. With the great waddings we have available now days I don't think we need tiny stitches. I have tryed machine quilting but find hand is much more relaxing.
I'm not sure what a "stab quilter" is, but that may be what I am. I'm not proficient at rocking the needle, using a thimble, and making tiny stitchers. My philosophy is that as long as the stitches are small enough to prevent fingers and toes from getting caught in them, then it's OK. :lol: This is not my original thought. I heard a fellow teacher, who was stitching during her recess, make that statement. (God rest her soul.) I'm not planning on entering any contests, so my quilts won't be given the "evil eye" of the professionals. But I do little hand quilting; mostly machine quilting on a domestic machine.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:10 AM

Bed size quilts go to the long arm quilter. I machine quilt smaller ones. Sometimes I tie.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 AM

I do my own SID and meandering on my regular old brother. I am practicing different designs. I am looking at mid arms. But, for now this works and I like the result. I haven't done anything bigger than a queen, tho. I have never tried hand quilting and really respect those that do. Maybe someday........
Old 08-09-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm really suprised at the amount of people that hand quilt. From all of the beautiful quilts I see here, I just assumed that they were all machine quilted or sent out. I have only stitched the ditch or done x's (don't really know the name for that), but I am going to do a quilt for my mom for Christmas and would like to do some hand quilting on it. Do you have to have some sort of frame or something? It will be a lap size.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 AM

I agree about the relaxation you get from hand quilting, Coletta and I do on average one hand quilted quilt a year. I make a real mess of my index and middle finger under the quilt though - pinpricks and then really hard calouses! The rest of them I quilt on my ordinary machine, in-the-ditch mostly.
I don't think I'd ever send a quilt out to be quilted - no disrespect to those who do, but I would feel like I'd cheated in some way, not finishing it myself. I know this sounds mad but it's just the way I am!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tarib
I'm really suprised at the amount of people that hand quilt. From all of the beautiful quilts I see here, I just assumed that they were all machine quilted or sent out. I have only stitched the ditch or done x's (don't really know the name for that), but I am going to do a quilt for my mom for Christmas and would like to do some hand quilting on it. Do you have to have some sort of frame or something? It will be a lap size.
You don't have to use a frame or have anything "extra" to hand quilt. Use some 505 basting spray; start in the middle and work you way out; use the smallest stitches that you're comfortable with! AND have fun!!
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM

thanks sewjoyce, can't wait to try it :)
Old 08-09-2009, 04:48 PM

I don't know how to hand quilt and don't have the patience to do it on my machine since many are too big. I've got a great lqs lady who does the long arm statler. Her prices are reasonable but I can only send one out every 6 mos due to my budget. I'm a visual person so to learn to how hand sew would be great!