Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt >

The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt

The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Quilt

Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
......I am also a little embarassed to tell you this...I found my book!!
.....What I have to ask all of you and I know most of us have some horse/pony and western fabrics. Will all of your blocks portray the western theme? I can't imagine all my blocks being that way...I quess mine is going to be like a "box of chocolates" I would like to keep my background fabric the same...if I can find something I really like. I haven't been looking tho. Time to go beddy bye..get the bedroll ready 'nite pardners. Honchey
Huge sigh of relief!!! I went thru much of the same this week ... I posted a photo of my Christmas quilt, and then others asked for the pattern info. Do you think I could find that book? Nope, not where it was supposed to be! Then low and behold, I somewhat stumbled on it last night ... relief, indeed!

mmmmmmm!!!! Box of Chocolates!! You got my attention! My plan is to use the anchor fabric that I posted earlier in this thread throughout my quilt. It may not get into each block. However, I found a batik that's pretty much a bang-on match to the background of that fabric. So for now I'm thinking the anchor or the batik will be in every block. That'll make for one sunshiny-bright quilt, I bet! Then add in blenders and other novelties to make it a coordinated scrappy. Yes, that's my plan ..... will I stick to it? heaven only knows!!! We should all come back and read our plans at the end of the quilt, and see how well we stuck to 'em!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
#27-? I like that!!
Your lucky number?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tdtdesign View Post
Finally! Something I can do along with the group. Well, sort of. I can cook along. I'm ordering The Best of the Farmer's Wife Cookbook. I'll try to find recipes that relate in some way to the blocks. I'll let you know how it goes. .............
Good Morning TDT ... somehow I missed your post, earlier!
OMG ...
Ladies ... we have ourselves a Cook for the Chuckwagon!
Now this is a BIG YEEEEEHAW, indeed!!!!!!!

TDT ... heck, I don't care if them there recipes are connected to the block, just cook us up some good vittles, and we'll be happy little cowgirls! Of course, I'm sure you already know that part of that happiness would be that you share the recipes with us! We can do the chopping and cutting for you, so you can steer clear of the sharp things!

So, if you cut the fabric when trimming a thread, maybe Santa could bring along a new machine with a thread cutter on it just for you! When I got my new one, it had that and I thought it was a dumb thing .... well, yes, I'm eating my words now and am totally enamoured with it!

TDT, here's a question you might be able to answer, about the geneology of the FW that these quilts are based on! Now that you mentioned The Best of FW Cookbook, I'm thinking your vast knowledge just may have the answers! Way back in history, when I was married, I was given a subscription to Farm Wife news, which later became Farm Wife magazine. Then it evolved to Country Woman magazine, which is part of the Reiman Publications group of magazines. BTW I love all those magazines, and especially any of the recipes they publish!

Which leads me to wonder, if this FW is the predecessor of the current magazine?
Thanks for your help ... and ooooh I'm looking forward to what you stir up!

Last edited by QuiltE; 12-21-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Wow; I have been replaced by another chuck wagon cook before we start!!! Oh, well, that is Ok with me, I guess. Since I never measure the ingredients, just look at it and toss it in the soup, its hard for anyone to know how much I put into the soup. DD had quite a time learning how to cook with mom. I do collect cook books as well as quilt books. Raised by a German-Dutch Grandmother, I use a lot of her way of cooking. Mincemeat pies for Christmas, unlike any other recipe I have every seen. And her sweet rolls are another family favorite.

Nice to see the number of riders increasing. And individual style and colors for the quilt....more lovely blocks are on their way for all of us to view.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM

QuilrE You crack me up with your cowboy metaphors. And they just keep coming... LOL

More later. Have to go buy cat food and shop for another cat carrier for the car.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Wow; I have been replaced by another chuck wagon cook before we start!!!
QuiltingNinaSueNot replaced, just adding another cook for the chuck wagon. Nothing could beat grandmother's cinnamon rolls! It's going to be a long trail with lots of cowpokes (cowpokettes?) wrangling those dogies. There 400 recipes in the book, so more cooks, the merrier.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Ooooh, another cookbook; cool. And the official title and place of purchase??

I cook the old fashioned way like Grandma did, but love new recipes. Old one from Farm Journal was Squaw Corn: just bacon, eggs and corn. Perfect for the trail ride. Homemade, of course, from the homestead products. Homemade jams and jellies; fresh fruit canned from our orchard. People love my pork roast and its so simple. Allow about a pound per person, coat with brown sugar and canned apples over it and bake for couple of hours at 325 degrees...cover, of course. Take meat out of the liquid, cut/slice and serve. Usually bake or candy sweet potatoes to go with the pork. Dessert is homemade pies; one Christmas I made 13 different pies.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Default Pony Club Quilt

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
I am so very happy to see all the new members everyone is rounding up for the Pony Club. I am also a little embarassed to tell you this...I found my book!! I have very nice shopping bags that I use as totes and more than one of a kind. I kept looking in the same tote over and over not realizing that the tote next to the one I was looking in was the one that had the book in it. What a relief!!! Now I shouldn't have a problem getting the first block done on time!!!
tdtdesign, Thanks for offering to help. It's really appreciated.
What I have to ask all of you and I know most of us have some horse/pony and western fabrics. Will all of your blocks portray the western theme? I can't imagine all my blocks being that way...I quess mine is going to be like a "box of chocolates" I would like to keep my background fabric the same...if I can find something I really like. I haven't been looking tho. Time to go beddy bye..get the bedroll ready 'nite pardners. Honchey

My blocks won't all have a western theme, I like english ponies too. The way it looks now many of my fabrics will be kind of folk art style.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Ooooh, another cookbook; cool. And the official title and place of purchase??

I cook the old fashioned way like Grandma did, but love new recipes. Old one from Farm Journal was Squaw Corn: just bacon, eggs and corn. Perfect for the trail ride. Homemade, of course, from the homestead products. Homemade jams and jellies; fresh fruit canned from our orchard. People love my pork roast and its so simple. Allow about a pound per person, coat with brown sugar and canned apples over it and bake for couple of hours at 325 degrees...cover, of course. Take meat out of the liquid, cut/slice and serve. Usually bake or candy sweet potatoes to go with the pork. Dessert is homemade pies; one Christmas I made 13 different pies.
Holy Cow - 13 different pies! I don't think I have ever tasted 13 different pies! LOL
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM

Then you would really be blown away with the "Pie" place in Lincoln, NE not too far from the Quilt Musem. They homemake at least 44 different pies a day (every morning!!); and you can order a whole pie from a list of 100 different pies. Wonderful, delicious pies. I was very pleased and happy eating lunch there and hope to get there again someday.

Oh, and the Christmas I baked 13 different pies, we had 29 guests eating in our house. Our daughter was in college, and brought a group of college students home for the holidays. I fixed finger food for a junior high school staff of 60, twice in a two week period at Christmas there. Later in Texas, I fed a staff of 90 to 100 people for Thanksgiving. Once. I do miss those times.