What happens when

Old 12-20-2011, 03:51 PM

Is there a particular part that you do like? Perhaps you could just do that part of it and someone else could do the others? Or maybe it could lead you to something else? I love counted cross stitch since I like hand sewing better than machine sewing. There's something for everyone, keep trying.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Could you find use in either the cottage crafts that were popular in the 80's or making functional items for gifts or sale at a market? For example: computer covers, machine covers, peg bags, soap holders, kindle covers, nappy bags, baby carry-slings etc or join the projects at you local women's group. If that doesn't appeal, how keen are you on photography or cooking, scrap booking etc?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:46 AM

the day i retired i went straight to the quilt shop from my exit interview..............and all the fabric was gone, it had been shipped out the day before...............I was in shock......but then realized that i had lots of fabric in my sewing room because of stopping at the quilt shop on my way home from work whenever it was a yucky day.....anyway the colors are what fasinate (sp) me.....grinding my teeth sometimes during cuting and piecing....try to breath while quilting (spoiled forever because once i used a long-arm and it was like dancing) at the sewing machine....but love binding and seeing the finished quilt.....it is like a puzzle....not all fun....but great when finished.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

There are lots of other things you can do besides quilting. As others have mentioned you can find all kinds of good causes that people are looking for sewers to do things for them. There are the pillowcases, pillowcase dresses, cancer caps etc. If you can knit you might enjoy getting to know the people on www.knittingparadise.com. I know some members from here also are on that site. Do what makes you happy!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 AM

I used to think I would love weaving. A shop near me offerred a class in weaving where you learned the basics and wove a sampler item. I was so thrilled until I took the class. I HATED it. Really hated weaving. Then I remembered the looms we had as kids where we wove pot holders. During that time the looms were metal and you wove yarn attached to a long metal needle. I hated doing that. Over the years I think I tried every craft out there. Cannot knit or crochet to gauge so after many afghans I quit that. Used to take a class in Adult Education every winter at the local high school and one year signed up for the quilting class, thinking I would not care for that either. I got the last open spot in that class. That was in 1979 and I have been quilting nearly every day since then. My point: There is something out there for everyone. Keep looking! Good luck.
Barb, formerly of Dayton, OH
Old 12-21-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
Just looked at the Concerr cancer site and emailed the coordinator in my area about helping out. I can make these out of flannel and use up some of what I have. Thanks so much to all of you for suggestions. I have knitted but only to make scarves and dishcloths. I have crocheted but can't use any more of that stuff. I have made rag quilts but everyone has one by now. So probably doing something for someone I don't know is the best use of my time. Retirement isn't what you think it's going to be. At least this first year, hopefully I'll settle into my niche soon.
Glad you checked out ConKerr site and will be making some pillowcases, such a worthwhile project and you get to use up some of your stash. Yes, Retirement isn't always what we think it will be but some how we eventually get into the niche we need. Good Luck, May in Jersey

PS: My photo shows me holding a bunch of pillowcases that our group had just sew at one of my Guild's Sew Ins.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 AM

Default Some things to sew when you don't want to quilt.

If you are looking for a simple sewing and charity project why not check out http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/. The dresses are basically pillow case dresses and super easy and yes you can use a pillow case. They also make shorts for little boys. The organization was featured on Sewing with Nancy and last night on the news Making a Difference segment. I have sent in a lot of dresses and shorts. It might not be all your sewing but it is a good charity and not quilting. It will use up lots of one yard pieces as well. Also you could make simple one yard totes....also can be made from pillow cases. I am sure there would be much need for them. I can get real nice pillowcases from the thrift shop for 25 cents. I am including a pdf for the simple tote made from a pillow case or one yard of fabric. Also a pattern for a gathering bag which is very roomy and can be slung across the body for hands free carry. I think both would be welcome and useful no matter who recieved them.......OK no I cannot figure out how to upload a PDF...the new format is too confusing. If you want them then PM me and send me your e-mail and I will send them on to you.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:03 AM

I guess I am kinda like that, too. I love to applique (hand), and I also enjoy hand piecing, and putting the tops together, but I also do not enjoy the quilting phase. I would be happy making tops for others if I had someone to do my quilting. O well, we can't all enjoy everything.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM

When my son was born 3 months early, he lived in NICU for the first 6 months of his life. He had every type of tubes and wires you could image hooked up to him. Everything fro the ventilator to Iva for all his blood transfusions to heart monitors. You name it.....he had it. Anyway, he couldn't wear any clothing, 1. There weren't any small enough for him, and 2. The medical personnel had to be able to get to his tummy area or chest at a split seconds notice. Ive been trying to come up with an easy design to make tiny clothes that could be quickly opened yet still be comforting to a baby in that condition. We couldn't touch my son, because any stimulation he received would cause his heart to flare up, increasing the chances of a heart attack, therefore this piece of clothing has to be extremely soft and not cause any friction. Maybe you could help me come up with something like this......
Old 12-23-2011, 01:29 PM

In recent years I have learned that the pjs I made for little boys are well remembered. They are all in theeir 30s, and they recall expecting to receive new pajamas from me for Christmas. They all have quilts by now (one of the first baby quilts was Texas/Bethleham star that is still in the family).