Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pets and Quilts - What do you do? >

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Pets and Quilts - What do you do?

Old 01-01-2012, 05:50 AM

Even though I'm a dog person, I agree with the cat people. The quilt should hold up quite well as long as the dog is out of the chewing stage. I have 5 dogs and my first couple of quilts were made just for them. (Practice, you know.) The only problem that I have is the puppies (2 of them) have chewed one up. They seem to love the raggedy edges. The other quilt is not a raggedy but has the corners chewed off too. The older dogs just love to curl up on or under the quilts and sleep. The quilts have held up well under weekly washing and even tug-of-war! Love my dogs.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM

I made a bed for our dog and a small quilt for her bed that she uses in our bedroom. Started her sleeping there next to my side of the bed as a new puppy and she still loves "her" special bed. During the day, she naps with me on the daybed in my sewing room on a blanket on the foot of the bed. She also has a blanket on one end of the sofa and knows where she is supposed to sleep. She does get a little anxious when someone sits on her spot on the sofa. The best thing about her is---no shedding. The only time she wants on quilts is when I'm laying out designs on the carpet or sandwiching them.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

My cats sleep with me and my quilts. No problems. The dog sleeps with DGD and has never hurt the quilts there.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:38 PM

I have 2 big dogs sleep on my bed (2 dobermans) so I made a rag quilt. I love it and so do they. Its still in shape so far. 1 sleeps under everynight and the other usually on it. I wouldn't put in alot of work for a quilt and use it on my bed though. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM

I saw a lung doctor for asthma. The FIRST THING he asked me was if I had any indoor pets. When I said yes, he said "they have to go, put them outside!. I told him my husband would put me out before he'd put the dog out (LOL). Needless to say, I never went back to him.

To answer the question, I don't have any problems with having a dog on the bed. However, I don't have anything that is hand quilted nor would I put a quilt with a light background on my bed ... these can be 'lap quilts'. When I learned to quilt our instructor said all her quilts had to pass the 80 lb doberman test!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:08 PM

good discussion about our pets. Seems our beloved pets bring out the best in all of us
Old 01-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Guess you have to figure out the priorities...If the grands and the dog can't enjoy it, then I can't either. I do like a nice bedroom, but as you can tell, we have a Schnauzer and they don't shed ( and there are other breeds that way as well). Guess you could always lay a sheet over the quilt til you knew someone was coming....Our Maggie knows her limits and at a recent Open House we had, I put my blue ribon quilt on the bed and she was good enough not to get on it...go figure...dogs are really perceptive...the Open house was Dec. 30th from 2-4 and she never got on the bed. What can I say, Good Luck and good dog make for a good day!teehee
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 PM

I think the love of the pet is worth the cost of any damage that may occur (although in my case we have been lucky with no problems).
Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I have two basset hounds. They do not sleep on the bed. They are quite short and the bed sits pretty high, they can not get up, LOL. They are in the house alot, and are my sewing,quilting buddies. I just think it goes with the package ,just a little more work to keep the hair cleaned up. I know a lot of work goes into our quilts but our pets are part of the family, kids are hard on things to but we would not change it for anything.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 PM

I love reading this! I am down to one (Doberman) now, but have been allowed to share the bed of two Dobermans and a Rottweiller mix. I wouldn't have it any other way. I also have two Standard Poodles (furry sister and her boy, nephew), who like to jump on my bed and play. I put a sheet over my bed. Not perfect, but it works for me! I do agree though, that I wouldn't put heirloom quality quilts on my bed, unless it was for show...