Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone >

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Old 01-09-2012, 07:59 AM

I do my own simply because I want it to be my own work (good or bad). Sometimes you put alot of work into piecing a quilt then have someone else quilt it - the comments coming back are "Oh, what beautiful quilting!" I did just finish quilting a king-size on my domestic Juki and never again will I struggle with anything that big - from now on the Kings go out to someone.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Have you checked around for a store that rents out their longarm? Usually, they require a class to learn how to use their machine and certify you to use it, then you can rent the machine.

I have quilted on my domestic machine and rented the LQS LA until we moved and had room for me to get a LA.

That said I had FMQ classes by Elizabeth Spannring, Diane Gaudynski, and Sue Rasmussen, who all do their quilting on domestic home machines and do large quilts.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

I do hand quilting on a frame.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM

I quilt all my own because we're on a fixed budget and it barely affords my fabric spenditures, let alone what it would cost to have my quilts done for me. I am not an accomplished quilter such as the fancy designs. I do mostly SID and meandering, but they have come out nice so far and I'm hoping to learn some of the fancy stitches this year. I don't slow down enough to practice much, so it has to be right on my quilts. Scary!! LOL! So far so good on my little domestic Brother HS 2000 and some have been as big as a twin or full sized quilt. Just roll really tight & be very careful.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:57 AM

I do my own quilting, but I don't make bed quilts. Mostly wall hangings or table runners. If I did make a bed quilt, I would send it out to be quilted.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 AM

I machine quilt all of my quilts on a domestic home sewing machine, usually my vintage Featherweight. I also teach free motion quilting on domestic machines at the local community college here in Mena, Rich Mountain Community College.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Pieces2 View Post
I send my quilts out to a longarm quilter. I have no desire to own a longarm machine. I can send a lot of quilts out to be quilted for the cost of the machine, I have no desire to learn how and no room to put a large machine.
I quilt my charity quilts on my Bernina using a walking foot, these are usually crib/lap size which are easy enough to do.

I spend a lot of time and money on my quilts and don't mind having them professionally quilted.
They are beautiful when I pick them up. I send 3-4 quilts a year. Still cheaper than buying a longarm machine.
Just as you say above I send my quilts out to LA quilters. I cannot fathom wrangling a quilt through my domestic machine, I'm far to particular and would be heartbroken to mess up a quilt with my inexperience. I don't think I make enough quilts to justify the cost of a LA machine.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Several quilt shops around here are teaching customers to long arm quilt on the store machines. You take a class to learn, then you can rent time on the long arm machine. I think that's awesome. You get a chance to try it first before you even consider buying a quilting machine.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:53 AM

I do my own. I fmq on my Viking Sapphire 870 and love doing it! I have a friend who does hers on her small domestic machine and she does queen size.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 AM

I do my own. I've done th em on a domestic, then a mid arm and I am waitng now for my long arm to come. Caan't wait. Hopefully I will get good at it. I do fine but I want to be GOOD.